Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #25593 09/11/08 08:13 AM
    Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My two oldest kids were administered the RIAS (Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scale) at school to determine entrance into the gifted program. We received IQ scores, but I wonder how accurate a 25 minute test can be.
    Does anyone have opinions on the test? Is there a benefit to giving them the SB-V at this point? (they're now 7 and 13)
    Would we gain any additional insights?

Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Dottie. Yes, they are both in the gifted program at their schools. I just never see the RIAS mentioned in discussions of IQ tests. The RIAS showed that my daughter has less aptitude in math than in verbal (we knew that already!) and my son is equally gifted in both. Neither one is having any learning probs other than my son refusing to do schoolwork that isn't challenging. But that's more of a personality thing.

Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yep. For he purpose of acceleration/recognition/motivation they're taking the ACT and SCAT this year. Daughter took the SAT last year for DUKE TIP.

Who needs thumbs? I type w two index fingers!

Originally Posted by Elisa
    Neither one is having any learning probs other than my son refusing to do schoolwork that isn't challenging. But that's more of a personality thing.

Hi Elisa,
    I guess it don't see that as a personality thing - I see that as a political problem - like why is it normal to expect kids to spend more than a small percentage of their time doing schoolwork that isn't challenging?

The fact that he grips about it and that she doesn't is surely a personality thing. LOL! I've got one of those at home too!

So here's the question in my mind. Is there current learning situation suiting them? My guess is that most gifted programs are very good for the 2/3rd of kids who are closest to the cutoff line, and not so good for the 1/3 of kids who are farthest away. Some kids complain about every thing, and some wouldn't complain about anything - so it is hard to tell!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My 7yo doesn't complain at all. He's actually a happy child and gets so excited when he's learning, but when the work isn't challenging he sits there and daydreams. So I would say the level of work so far this year is not a good fit. His teacher is inexperienced and just repeats, "This is the curriculum I'm required to teach by the district." Can she really be that ignorant?

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Elisa
    My 7yo doesn't complain at all. He's actually a happy child and gets so excited when he's learning, but when the work isn't challenging he sits there and daydreams. So I would say the level of work so far this year is not a good fit. His teacher is inexperienced and just repeats, "This is the curriculum I'm required to teach by the district." Can she really be that ignorant?

YES! (But I'm biased because of a bad experience!)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent