Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Some gifted folk really are deep and slow. I forgot this and ruined dinner last night by praising how cool my son's 8th grade math assignment was (using the numeral 4,exactly 4 times, with unlimited math symbols, to make various answers) and that no one had come up with a way to get to 11. My DH's eyes glazed over, he stopped speaking, and he started to make notes on some scrap paper. We didn't get a word out of him for the rest of dinner, until he handed his solution around, proudly. It was a neat trick, but not, IMHO, something to excuse one from dinner.

Did I mention that I'm an extreame 'extrovert' and DH is an 'introvert?'

I think that an assesment is the way to go, but be careful to go to someone who understands 2E stuff, which is a challenge. A Misdiagnosis is worse than no diagnosis (BTDT) - perhaps post in 'Regions' for local ideas. I also would get his vision checked, by both an opthamologist and by a behavioral optomitrist. If you son isn't typing yet, I would strongly suggest that you make some firm but gentle moves in that direction.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    So many of you were helpful when I posted the original message, I am back for an update. We did have our son privately tested. The psychologist used the Woodcock Johnson III tests for ability and achievement and Developmental Test of Visual Motor Integration (VMI). The nutshell results were
    "General Intellectual Ability" = 132 (98th percentile)
    Broad Range Reading = 94 percentile
    Broad Range Math = 98 percentile
    Broad Range Written Language = 98 percentile

Here is the curious part - almost all of the subtests were well above the 90th percentile except those labeled "fluency" which were lower. Those were timed. He scored in the 76 percentile on writing samples and 28th percentile on the Processing Speed test.

We have had him identified with the school district and the teacher is working on higher level instruction in reading and math to some extent.

Any ideas as to where we go next to figure out what is going on with the processing speed or should I just let it go? My fear is that we will run into more teachers that confuse speed with ability.
    Thanks!

H
    H
    You might want to read up on Visual Spatial learners as well. My son (6) is a deep thinker as well. His processing speed was in the normal range on his IQ. He placed very low on his "norming tests" (timed pencil and paper)in school but very high on the computer tests (comprehensive). The public school wants to put more emphasis on his speed (they call it fluency) even though he is extremely accurate when he takes his time to process. I have looked in LD but cannot find one that fits exactly. I have found the Visual spatial information fits to a "T". Here is the link to some VS articles.

http://www.homeschooldiner.com/specials/visual_spatial/main.html It is on the homeschooldiner website but it has a ton of great resources. Also scroll through to find out what happens if your son were to get a teacher who doesn't understand this and give credit for both knowledge and speed.

Feel free to PM me if you want more. Good luck.

Lilar - I am curious what the psych says about numbers...did they offer any conclusions or advice for educational options?

OP Offline
    thanks for the link hkc75 - that fits as well as anything...

chris1234...the psyc is baffled as well. He pointed out that the only test DS had noticeable difficulty with was one in which background noise increases so we are going to an audiologist next to see if there is an audiological processing disorder. The psyc did feel strongly that it is not ADHD, dysgraphia, or Asbergers which were all slight possibilities when we started the testing.

Another strange thing. DS has very inconsistent test results between morning and afternoon testing. We have noticed this with some school assessments.

OP Offline
    Dottie- yes! He can test up to 3 grade levels higher in the morning than when he is tested in the afternoon. His afternoon results are all over the place. I attributed it to non-scientific tests and him being tired. Have you found any solutions for your DD?

OP Offline
    Quick update- we just got back from the audiologist...it is not an auditory processing disorder.

I'm going with the slow because he's super gifted theory. At least that will make me feel better. I am beginning to worry that he is going to get a complex that "Mommy thinks something is wrong."

Thanks all for the links and advice.

My daughter (now 6th)has always had this issue. We had great teachers who figured it out. She is a perfectionist and never skims and has to be able to pronounce each word. Often, these words are surnames.

I finally had her tutored (after fourth grade) by her third grade teacher that she loved. They read plays - which forced her to read through. She also had to read into a tape player. Her teacher also (let) her skim. (I told her she could, but she thought it was cheating.)

She is still an exceptionally high (and slow) reader. However, her comprehension is much higher than most. I believe if we read the same paragraph, I could tell you that it happened in a room and she could draw a perfect picture of the room.

We also work on languages and how to pronounce them. Luckily, this is one of my interests. This helps her with surnames. She never forgets one once she learns it so this is getting better. Of course, many books have invented surnames now, but they have websites where they are pronounced.

One important thing to remember is that for timed tests, have them given extra time. This is true for most gifties - as they hate being timed and just need to know that they have longer. But, for this issue, it is very important because for reading, they will take longer and probably receive a perfect score for comprehension. Plus, they will most likely be in a room with less students.

And writing - my daughter usually writes something worthy of publishing (as her teachers say). Sometimes, it has to be shortened. In Texas, they were allowed as much time as they needed for the writing test. She worked from 8 to 5 on hers and received one of the few perfect scores. The cue was about someone helping someone and she got into DNA and science fiction and anyway, it was practically a novel. Since moving to Colorado, it is timed and she is never satisfied. Who can write a novel in one hour?

We have to constantly work with her to finish these assignments, but luckily, her teachers have loved her writing and work with her. She stays after school quite a bit to finish. This is just a fact of life for her. She won't do anything less. She knows when she is finished with her paper and at this age, I can't convince her otherwise. Her teacher wants her to try to publish a book this summer.

Hope this lengthy explanation helps. And my daughter is the only other student I have known like this. Her third grade teacher had known a previous student and that is why she could help her. Her fluency has improved greatly when she needs it to, but I doubt she uses it when she doesn't need it due to her need for total comprehension.

Last edited by Ellipses; 04/18/09 04:04 AM.
    OP Offline
    Thanks for sharing and the input.

Strangely, reading is the only thing my son does quickly, especially on material that is at or below his reading level. His reading comprehension level is 3-4 years above grade level.

His slow response generally shows up when he has to verbalize or write down an answer. I really think he is thinking through all the possibilities before commiting to an answer.

He also reacts slowly to verbal directions by his parents (brush your teeth, get your pajamas on, etc.) but I am chalking that up to our poor parenting skills (we tell him more than once so he gets by with it). LOL

Originally Posted by lilartsy
    Quick update- we just got back from the audiologist...it is not an auditory processing disorder.

I'm going with the slow because he's super gifted theory. At least that will make me feel better. I am beginning to worry that he is going to get a complex that "Mommy thinks something is wrong."

Thanks all for the links and advice.

Glad to hear that APD is ruled out. I know what you mean, but it seems to me that if you do find a 'something' that will help you and he understand him better that it will be worth it.

Still it's hard.

Glad to hear that his reading is fluent. I wonder if it's worth it to try to do a 'unit' on Logic and Debate. If he's going to take a long time to think everything through, step by step, perhaps training him how to do that more efficiently will help.

There is a love of precision (like my DH) and there is the 'going round in circles because I don't trust myself to do it right' that we usually call perfectionism. Given those definitions, what do you think that you are seeing? Does he tear up his work in disgust? Is he pleased with himeslf at the end?

I always remind myself around this time that 'it's a process!'

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM