Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Hello! I am new here and after searching the web for several hours for solutions that don't match the problem, decided this is a good place to get help.

My child is starting 2nd grade. Our district does not officially ID gifted, but he was reading at a 2nd grade level at the end of Kindergarten and a 4-5 grade level at the end of 1st grade. He reads almanacs and science books for fun but seldom has the patience to complete chapter books.

Here is the problem. He is extremely slow to complete assignments. When he does them it is often with high accuracy (although he will make a careless mistake every once in a while) but it takes him 2X as long to complete written assignments as his "average" classmates regardless of whether it is on or below his level of work. If you ask him questions from an assignment (math worksheet for example), he answers them fairly quickly but he can not finish the written assignment quickly even when motivated to do so. He has a very advanced vocabulary and can write neatly when he takes his time.

It is frustrating, because each year it takes his teachers several weeks to believe that he is actually gifted rather than slow. I suspect he would bomb a timed test.

For what it is worth, he is not fidgety or disruptive but can be very emotionally sensitive.

Any ideas as to how to figure this out?

It sounds like writing may be the bottleneck. Does he seem frustrated with writing?

OP Offline
    Thanks for the reply. He doesn't seem frustrated with writing, but there is a marked difference in the speed of his written work verses verbal responses. When I sit with him and try to speed things up, he gets very frustrated. He says, "my brain doesn't work that fast". He almost seems distracted but he is really thinking through the work (sometimes along with other things). I have been reading about ADD and he doesn't fit the descriptions I have found other than the slow work. If I take the piece of paper away and ask him the questions, he would answer them relatively quickly. If I put the paper in front of him and ask the questions he slows down again.

I have wondered if it is the process of transfering the information from paper to brain and back to paper????

The other place he slows down is when he reads. He will stop mid-sentence and ponder all the details of a picture in the book. It doesn't matter if what he is reading is pre-school level or a physics book. At other times, he reads right along at a fluent pace. Even other times, he skips words.

F
    F
    I feel like I am still new to this, but I can throw in my two cents...

My son did the same thing with his homework last night. It was simple, write his spelling words 3x & do his math paper. It usually takes hin 10-15 minutes max, but he sat in the chair for about 90 minutes working on it. He was distracted with doodling, playing with his eraser, talking to me, etc. I told him to finish up so he could go play, but he kept saying it was boring, he already knew how to spell these words, why did he have to do this, etc...

I decide I didn't care how long it took. I stayed calm & told him he could sit there till bedtime, but he was going to finish. He is a master at manipulation & continued to try & convince me why he didn't have to do it.

Long story short...from what I have read & learned on this website is that if it is not challenging, or exciting & new, than they have a hard time enjoying it & will avoid doing it.

I suspect your son may be bored with those things that take him a long time to do. That is the simple explanation that pops out at me. I am not sure the best way to deal with it, and I may be wrong, but thought I would share my limited knowledge of this topic!

My ds does a lot of the same; sometimes it is boredom; I asked his 2nd grade teacher for harder words and she was really great about keeping him challenged going forward.

Sometimes it is his writing speed, so we have introduced typing to help but just getting older has helped as well.
    Sometimes he is just thinking about a LOT of stuff; this is ok...but sometimes he does poorly on tightly timed tests.

check this out, in particular the part about too many associations - approx. pg. 30 (although the whole thing is interesting, and I probably ought to order the book!) -
    http://mislabeledchild.com/stuy.pdf

Last edited by chris1234; 09/12/08 12:26 AM.
    FLoridamom - my son was the exact same way in 2nd grade. It lasted all year and never really got much better. We did rewards, bribes, punishments, but I always made him do it. THe odd thing is, he WANTED to do it, and would cry and be completely distressed on the times I made him go to bed and leave homework unfinished. He was so worried about the teacher and not having homework finished but he still couldn't bring himself to do it. He even told me once "when it's too easy, I just can't focus on it."

OP Offline
    Thanks for the link chris. The associations piece does seem to fit. He definitely has some of the hypersensitivity issues on the emotional scale. I think we are going to take him to a private psychologist for an evaluation just to be sure we are seeing traits of giftedness and not that in combination with something else like ADD or dysgraphia. Nothing I have read seems to "fit" perfectly so I have become anxious about what to suggest to help him.

So far, we have had great teachers that have been willing and able to adapt instruction for our son with input for us. I am an educator myself and have come to his public schooling with the expectation (and reputation) that parents and schools have to work together to figure out what works for each child so we are lucky in that regard. The more I understand what is going on the more I can provide or suggest resources if needed.

If anyone has background in gifted kids with other issues, I would love to hear your thoughts, too!

I can't speak for your child, obviously, but I wanted to be sure that you're aware that fast and GT don't necessarily go together.

Case in point: My DS7 is a DYS kid, but he is as slow as molasses in January! I, too, worried that there might be some problem. But a big part of why he is as he is clicked into place for me when I saw his WISC scores: while he had a PRI score that qualified him for DYS, his processing speed was only 109. Aha! That means he's got an amazing depth of understanding, but he processes the info to get that understanding at the same speed as any ND kid his age. Well, no wonder stuff takes him longer!

When he was still in public school, I'm not sure he ever actually finished an assignment that the teacher gave him. Some of that was because he was underchallenged. But some of it was because he's just slow! His first grade teacher used this to try to undermine his GT ID, too, so it can be a real problem.

My usual description of DS7 is that he's deep, but not fast. Timed tests are awful for him. Everything takes longer than it seems like it should.

Since we're now homeschooling, I've learned to work around it as if it were a learning disability, though technically, it's not. But to moral of the story is that he needs time to process things. If he gets that time, he comes up with some amazing connections and solutions to problems.

Obviously we work on speed, too, but it's not our primary focus. It's a weakness we need to bolster, so we do small bits regularly to improve it.

Your child may have a 2E situation, but from your description, I don't necessarily see anything that screams 2E to me. Especially the way he sometimes stops when he's reading, it sounds to me like he's just thinking...

I'd suggest that perhaps your son is like my son: deep, but not fast. Not all GT kids are.

I'd say that your best bet is testing to see where the numbers fall. The WISC made my son make SOOOOOO much more sense! And achievement testing paired with IQ testing would help to tell you if there's a 2E issue happening there. I'd recommend it.

If you want more details about our experience, let me know. I'm happy to help if I can.

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Thanks so much for the insight Kriston. Much of what I have read about gifted says the same so I hope that it exactly what you describe. Something just doesn't seem right.

Can someone give me a link to the codes being used here? (DS7, DYS, etc.)? crazy

Oh, sorry! There's a sticky you can check for translations:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....List_of_Common_Gifted_Acronyms#Post13990

Be sure to check the link to Hoagies listed there, since they define a lot of the ones we use a lot. We didn't restate most of the ones that they have there.

(And BTW, I had to ask, too, when I was new. It's quite the alphabet soup we use! Sorry about that! blush )

As for something not seeming right to you, well, I'm a big fan of parents trusting their guts. Moms know! If you think something isn't right, then you should definitely pursue it.

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations