Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #25516 09/10/08 06:41 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ...and it was called by DS5. While on the way home from dinner he told DH and I that he thought we should have a family meeting after his younger siblings went to bed tonight. He wanted to talk about some things that had been bothering him. DH and I had a hard time stifling the laughter but we did honor his request. We actually had a really good 25 minute meeting this evening with him.

DS5 was concerned that he was getting too many time outs and getting into too much trouble at home (admittedly I have yelled at him more in the past few weeks because of his behavior). When it was my turn to speak, I spoke with him about the behaviors that were most often occurring to get him into trouble (hitting his siblings, talking back, being rude). He also said that he was feeling that we didn't care about him as much as his siblings and that we were not spending enough time with over the past few months. This was true since DS5 had requested a brain vacation this summer so we honored his wishes and didn't do any after schooling or reading with him. Prior to the summer DS5 usually got 30-45 minutes each evening of undivided adult attention to work on the topics of his choosing. I know he is finally starting to miss that special time and wants his brain to return from vacation.

During the meeting, DS5 decided that he would prefer that instead of going to his room for timeouts and getting into more trouble he would direct his energy to doing some work on his handwriting or something else more academic. DS5 states that he tends to misbehave more when he doesn't have something to keep his brain busy. He even decided that this weekend he wants to create a book on various weather topics.

DS5 also voiced frustration that he needs to learn harder math. He actually said he won't be happy unless he learns more math this year. (Almost positive that he will not get his wish in his K/1st grade classes and we are looking into hiring a private tutor).

I am very proud of him for realizing some of his frustrations and voicing them to us tonight. It was so cute watching him facilitate. As DH and I would make a comment he would ask the other to either agree, disagree or add our thoughts. It also seemed like he had spent a lot of time thinking about what he wanted to say.

Crisc
    Wow! That's so wonderful, crisc! He's such a special kid, and the fact that he handled this situation so MATURELY just speak volumes about him.

What a great story! smile

Kriston
    Double wow!! Problem solving at an emotional level is pretty impressive at age 5. That requires a fair amount of insight by your DS into not only what his needs are, but also what he can do to change the outcome of his surroundings. Very impressive!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    T
    T
    How cute! And if he wants a great weather resource check out wunderground.com living in a hurricane prone area I trust our lives to the information on it far more than the news or Weather Channel.

S
    S
    Triple wow! But, I have to hand it to you, too, Crisc, for teaching him those skills. Way to go!

He is one smart cookie, I tell you. It's kind of funny that he called a meeting but he is right about so many things.

Originally Posted by crisc
    DS5 states that he tends to misbehave more when he doesn't have something to keep his brain busy.

This is so true in our house, except I don't think DS6 realizes it.

Good luck with the K/1st combo. It may be hard once he realizes that there will be hardly anything new for him to learn even in the 1st grade.

LMom
    LMom #25534 09/10/08 07:46 PM
    What a wonderful young man! Kudos to your parenting skills for taking him seriously. How many parents would have giggled and patted him on the head, very cute now run along and play.....

Good for you and DH. grin

Yippee!
    Has he been reading this forum behind your back? ((wink))

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    WOW that level of reasoning in a 5yr old???? WOWOWOW!!

Here here on all the WOWs!! That your 5yo has such insight is so wonderful. I hope you're keeping track of your wonderful stories in a journal or something (not that you'd soon forget that your 5yo called a family meeting!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM