Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #25198 09/08/08 06:02 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Is sensory integration a common "partner" of gifted children? I looked up "seamless socks" online today & was directed to many sensory integration websites. I know that my DS6 is super sensative to sights, sounds, smells, touch & taste.

(I finally decided to look for seamless socks after the sock issues got to be too much.)

I am new at this & still trying to figure things out with my DS6.

If sensory integration is common among gifted children, I would love a book recommendation...
    Thanks!!!!

Q
    Q
    Doesn't answer your question, but this is where I used to buy seamless socks. http://www.kidstockmontana.com/tictactoesocks.html Now we've given up on socks altogether. smile

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you. Is does help! Your child won't wear socks at all, anymore??

I'm no expert, but I'll take a stab at answering your question...

I think there's a theory that some GT kids are GT in part because they take in so much info so quickly. That makes them more aware--more sensitive--to everything around them. Including their socks. Processing all that information can be overwhelming to them, and it can cause problems. They aren't good at selecting what info is important and what info is just a distraction.

Personally, I have certainly seen more GT kids with sensory integration issues than I have non-GT kids. By a lot. That's totally unscientific though! blush

Q
    Q
    Not at all, and we're in the Mid-Atlantic area. We finally just gave up. Lined boots work for him in the winter and for sledding, but no socks (and no sweaters or sweatshirts) does prevent him from trying skiing. He even ice skates w/o socks (as do pro hockey players). I think he'd love to live in FL, AZ or NV. Acutally, he likes NV the best. That way he could always wear sandals, short-sleeved t-shirts and bball shorts. The transition to long sleeves/pants is never easy in the fall.

Q
    Q
    Oh, didn't see the book recommendation request. The first one I read was The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine Aron. Very good layman's view explanation of all sorts of things (e.g., clothing and food taste/textures sensitivities, avoiding birthday parties, staying out of the fray on the playground, etc.). Others are The Out of Sync Child and The Out of Sync Child Has Fun (for activities to do togethter). Dont' have them in front of me so can't give you the author's name.

They're in the link I gave, questions. A little teamwork action, there!

Kriston
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks all! Now that you mention bball shorts...as soon as DS6 gets home from school, he immediately changes into bball shorts or some type of pj pants. He would live in pj's if he could!

We also have issues with pants. They are too tight, too loose, come down too low in the back when he sits, etc.

His room must be in proper order before he can go to sleep. We thought for awhile that he may have OCD. But, I guess sensory integration resembles OCD a bit.

He is a HUGE germ-o-phobe. And, (if I can be graphic) he must plug his nose in the restroom. Whether he is going #1 or #2. Also, he must plug it in every public restroom.

I will absolutely read the books suggested above. Thanks so much!

M
    M
    I am convinced that SPD and Gt are linked. I have met several parents of kids with SPD issues and invariably, their kids end up testing GT (not necessarily HG or PG but definitely G and MG). That said, our issues revolve around clothing tags (a common one), short sleeves to long sleeves transitions (hates to wear short sleeves with a jacket - abhors the feel or a jacket on DS' bare skin) so we often wear long sleeves all year round except summer. DS is extremely sensitive to temperature - gets cold when the rest of us are okay or even hot. And, lots of issues surrounding getting hands dirty (play-doh was ok as was sand but not finger paints, or anything that could "stick").
    Book recommendation: The Out-of-Synch Child by Kranovitz.
    BTW - it can always be worse - I know a DS that needs to have his undies ironed before wearing. I don't know how they arrived at that solution but that is what works for them.Good luck!!!

Last edited by momx2; 09/08/08 07:54 AM. Reason: sd changed to spd
    I agree that sensory issues and giftedness are somehow linked. Both DS and I have those sensory issues to some degree as well. Another book that is frequently mentioned on this board might also be useful.

Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, And Other Disorders (Paperback) by James T. Webb

I gave my copy back to the library, or rather the library's copy back to the library, but it has an interesting chapter on sensory issues and gifted kids.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs