Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #250555 10/25/23 05:10 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi! I'm new here.

I would like to use WPPSI-IV for my son's DYS application, but he is 2e and was tested as part of his ADHD diagnostic work-up, i.e., unmedicated. His score showed a relative weakness in working memory and processing speed (both in the high average range), which was actually in such sharp contrast to his Verbal Comp, Visual Spatial, and Fluid Reasoning scores that it helped to cement the ADHD diagnosis.

As a result, his full-scale IQ came out below the 145+ cut-off. However, his report did not include the indices that DYS will accept in cases like this, particularly GAI. His GAI subtest scores were: Block Design 19, Information 18, Matrix Reasoning 16, Similarities 17. He also scored 19 in Visual Puzzles, meaning that he got perfect scores in both Visual Spatial subtests and received a scaled IQ result of 155 in that area.

The testing was performed just over 5 years ago, in July 2018, so I understand that he will need to present a portfolio when he applies. But is there any way to calculate his GAI from the subtest scores without going back to the original psychologist?

If I provide his exact age at the time of testing, will this allow someone else to calculate this index, and does DYS perform this step for people in our situation? The testing psychologist no longer works at the clinic that issued the report, so I am not sure that it would be possible to have the report "reissued" with the designations of the original clinic. And furthermore, even if I am able to track this person down, I am not sure that I will be able to get them to update the report at all, given the time that has passed.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome, mrsinkblot!

If you take a look at the testing requirements, you'll see that having two index scores of 145+ works too. You have at least one (VSI). Unfortunately, it looks like the VCI just misses at 143, but it might be worth asking anyway.

You do have the scores that compose the GAI, and they would generate a number at 145+, but whether DYS accepts that, or is willing to calculate it for you, is entirely up to them. Again, it can't hurt to ask! (And any psych who administers the WPPSI -- and even many who don't -- can calculate the GAI with the appropriate tables. The issue is more that most professionals don't want to sign their name to someone else's evaluation.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    aeh #250578 11/22/23 03:10 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for your reply!

I will get in touch with Davidson to see if anything can be done with his current scores.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Just a quick update: Davidson will not perform the calculation, but they will accept a signed addendum including the missing index/indices.

I have received official confirmation from the testing clinic that my son's GAI was 149, and they are willing to issue an addendum confirming the same.

I am also curious about extended norms, given that he got perfect scores on both VSI subtests (confirmed by the examiner in the report, not just my assumption). In your experience, would any of his numbers likely come out higher if recalculated on extended norms? I don't think I'll ask for this, given that the original numbers already clear the bar in his pretty clear-cut 2e case, but I would love to know if you have any insight here. He was tested at age 5 and 7 months.

Thanks again for your help!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, that's good news!

Yes, it is possible that extended norms might be meaningful on the VSI with two 19s. (Did the examiner indicate that he received maximum scaled scores, or maximum raw scores? What did he mean by "perfect" scores? 19s are maximum scaled scores, but can be obtained from a range of raw scores.)

You are welcome.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets