Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Had to search for this thread after being gone for a week. Fitzi - those notes are hilarious! Keepers for sure.

I have to report that I did find the calvin and hobbes books and read a bit to DS4 last week. This morning, he gets up and says, "where's that calvin and hobbes book? I need to look for some ideas for mischief." (And for the first time ever, I spotted him reading a book by himself - so i'm still weighing the positives and negatives with this one!) And last week at the grocery store, he quoted Calvin while he was sitting in the cart: "Mom, go really fast and then let go!" I can only hope that someday we'll get a note like yours. smile

That's great!!!

My DS-then-5 did something Calvin would have been proud of last November. The kindergarten kids were making "I am thankful for..." drawings that were laminated and turned into placemats.

All the other kids drew pictures of their families or their pets or best friends. My DS5 covered the paper with dinosaurs (he's been mad into them since well before he was 2) and wrote

"I am thankful for dino2aur2" (those 2s are backward s's).

The teacher looked a bit aghast, but we hung it prominently on the wall and it remains there.

Val

W
    W
    I have one to add.

Playdate to play a game called Enchanted Slipper. DD was excited the other girl was bringing it over since she is so into princesses and heard about the game.

DD, the other girl and the other mother are playing. I decided to watch, to keep the game moving. At first it does since you have to collect cards and landing on things makes something happen. Then you are landing, already have the card and you just wait for your turn and soon you are just trying to land on a certain space and it gets a little boring.

DD has her head in her hands and in a perfect Eeyore voice, says "I kinda feel like Eeyore".

Ren

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I have one to add.

Playdate to play a game called Enchanted Slipper. DD was excited the other girl was bringing it over since she is so into princesses and heard about the game.

DD, the other girl and the other mother are playing. I decided to watch, to keep the game moving. At first it does since you have to collect cards and landing on things makes something happen. Then you are landing, already have the card and you just wait for your turn and soon you are just trying to land on a certain space and it gets a little boring.

DD has her head in her hands and in a perfect Eeyore voice, says "I kinda feel like Eeyore".

Ren

What happened next?!?

Val

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Had to search for this thread after being gone for a week. Fitzi - those notes are hilarious! Keepers for sure.

I have to report that I did find the calvin and hobbes books and read a bit to DS4 last week. This morning, he gets up and says, "where's that calvin and hobbes book? I need to look for some ideas for mischief." (And for the first time ever, I spotted him reading a book by himself - so i'm still weighing the positives and negatives with this one!) And last week at the grocery store, he quoted Calvin while he was sitting in the cart: "Mom, go really fast and then let go!" I can only hope that someday we'll get a note like yours. smile

This is a beaut, Pauli; I love it that he is using 'mischief' at 4! I think we finally hid the books after we caught DS (then 5) wandering towards the coffee table one day carrying a hammer and a handful of nails (in one of the CH cartoons, Calvin pounds a large quantity of nails into the coffee table).

DS's (now 6) latest, BTW, came when we forgot to take him out for a promised pancake breakfast last weekend. When he realized we'd goofed, he told DW in ringing tones "You owe me restitution!" (borrowed from Peanuts' Sally). We rendered restitution the following morning.

Last edited by fitzi; 09/04/08 04:07 PM.
    W
    W
    Val,

She had deadpanned perfectly that the other mother cracked up. So that is the story.

It isn't Calvin & Hobbs or Peanuts, but I thought in the theme.

Ren

I love all these stories! How can you not laugh? (well, except for fitzi and DW when the hammer and nails were getting close to the coffee table...)

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    We laughed - after we'd hidden the books!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM