Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 294 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #24959 09/04/08 07:00 PM
    J
    jojo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hello...

I'm a newbie in denial. I have 2 daughters, 7 and 4. We had them both tested recently because the gap between what they show at school and what they know was getting bigger and bigger and bigger. They don't fit the typical stereotypical gifted profile and being a non-confrontationalist from way back, I've felt reluctant to talk to their school about making changes (and I've not really known what changes and accomodations to ask for).

I had my first "taste" of not-so-positive parental feedback last night when I intimated that J might skip year 3 and go into year 4 next year. I suspect I'm really going to have to lose my hyper-sensitivity and toughen up a bit if we're going to accelerate.

I've reluctantly given the school a copy of their SB5 and Wisc IV results and we're waiting for them to come back with an actoin plan (the next meeting is scheduled in 2 weeks). The waiting is killing me.

I'm coming to the conclusion that acceleration will be necessary for both girls - at a minimum - but I still feel weird about asking for this. I often find myself reading about the validity and reliability of the test instruments, and looking for research that indicates a minimum IQ that would make a child suitable for skipping. I guess I'm concerned that the school is going to come back to me saying that they see testing results like theirs all the time.

Anyway - this is just me saying g'day from WA.

jojo

jojo #24963 09/04/08 07:22 PM
    Have you read the Iowa Acceleration Scale manual? Lots of good info in there on how to evaluate candidates for grade acceleration.

Definitely the IAS, and you might also look at A Nation Deceived. It changed my view of acceleration, and it's research-based, not full of urban legend like so much of the current thought about grade skipping is these days. It's free, too. You can download a copy or order a printed version, as you like.

http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/

Kriston
    Whoa! That should be written down somewhere for all who come here to read!

Seriously! Nice post, MON.

Kriston
    J
    jojo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    That is seriously good advice. I do need to relax and trust myself. I may not handle this perfectly, and that's OK (she says, hyperventilating!) But it's good for me to hear that I may not being able to make things perfect for the girls.

Thank you for your thoughtful words... jojo

jojo #24999 09/05/08 07:55 AM
    I just wanted to say welcome. Great advice master of none.

LMom
    LMom #25013 09/05/08 09:10 AM
    Jojo,

I am amazed at how hard parents advocate for their kids! The stories on here are amazing and inspiring. It sounds like your school is talking to you and listening which is a much easier battle than many have had. Good luck!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets