Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #24912 09/04/08 01:28 PM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi there!

Well, I am back although not to 'normality'. My house is a complete mess and we are supposed to give DD's 5th birthday party on sunday....

Apart from that, DD has been two days at the new school and she is liking it smile smile smile
    And I really like her new teacher - she wants to meet with me every week or other week until we are all certain that things are on track with DD. She is most positive with the grade skip (from K to 1st grade) and willing to accommodate her with both her vision problems and giftedness. And she wants to help her as well with socialization (DD has no problem on a one-to-one interaction but in a large group she feels threatened).

I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders....

About the vision problems: we went to see an optometrist in Spain and indeed, DD has some deficiencies. She has problems tracking a fixing objects, not severe but enough to give her trouble, and she has problems with accommodation on short distances, which means that after a short while the page she is looking becomes all blurry. She has given me a few exercises to do at home and she told me that in about 4 months I should see improvement. Interestingly enough, DD's accuracy is 100% in the 'bad' eye and 120% in the 'good' one!

And voila'! Happy to be back smile

Isa #25376 09/09/08 02:01 PM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    nobody cares? frown

Isa #25377 09/09/08 02:13 PM
    Oh Isa, I am so sorry frown I don't know how I missed this yesterday! I've been visiting mostly at night to read posts. The threads are so fast moving, it's easy for one to get buried by accident.

I am so happy for you and DD! It's great to have a wonderful teacher. Little C has an awesome teacher too! She skips out of school each day happy as a lark. Quite a change from last year. Since you haven't been around, C also had vision development testing and has some pretty significant deficiencies. She will start therapy in two weeks, we are fortunate insurance pays for it.

You may have noticed the population has changed some! Some regular posters are not as regular! There are some brilliant new characters as well.

Allow me to introduce you:

This is Isa everyone. She has been posting on this board about as long as me, which isn't very long! She has a sweet and intelligent young daughter who had a very bad year last year, most likely due to a poor educational fit, and look at her now!

It looks like both our daughters will have a much better year. So if you are currently struggling with an unhappy child due to a poor fit, know that things can get better! And the best thing about the school year is that when the year is over, the bad fit also ends and your child gets to have a fresh start next year.

As most of you know, it takes some real effort in some cases to advocate at school, but I think worth it.

Wouldn't you agree Isa?

Hi, Isa! I'm glad to hear things are working out well with the teacher. I hope this is the start of a great year for your DD.

Dottie #25380 09/09/08 02:39 PM
    K
    K
    Welcome back Isa! I am just returning after a week+ of having a virusy computer. Glad things are going well for your daughter and you are working on the vision issues!

kimck #25382 09/09/08 03:02 PM
    You'll probably never drag me away from the test data forum though.

Thank goodness. smile

CFK #25391 09/09/08 04:42 PM
    Buenas tardes, Isa!

Its great that your DD has a good teacher and school that cares about her.

I am the same was as CFK .. on just checking "recent posts"!!

CFK #25408 09/09/08 06:28 PM
    Hi Isa, welcome back.

I am so happy to see so many good fits this year.

bianc850a #25410 09/09/08 06:30 PM
    Ditto that! smile Glad you're back!

Kriston
    Austin #25418 09/09/08 07:01 PM
    Hi Isa!

I'm one of the newish regulars that hang about. Glad to meet you! And I'm happy that your daughter likes her new school and teacher. It is truly amazing what a good educational fit will do for your sanity and general happiness. I understand the "heavy weight being lifted from your shoulders" comment. It sounds like your daughter's teacher is wonderful. Three cheers!

I have an 8-year-old boy who keeps me on my toes. We have had a crazy week or two at our house, but hopefully it is settling down now. I hope to be a more regular regular here than I have been in the past few days! wink

ebeth

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM