Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    DS8 always have to make some sort of noises while he is working. He will either hum songs/ music, sniff (almost non-stop), or clear his throat.I believe his behaviour is quite disruptive to the other kids in class. Over the years, his teachers have been very patient. Last year, the teacher used subtle methods by reminding him not to sniff by either pointing to her nose, or asking him if he needed to clear his nose. This year, he has started humming his favourite classical tunes. I have read that there are nothing much that we can do as asking them to stop will only increase the frequency....but sometimes I can't help it! What can I do at home? Should I let him be (which is mostly what I do now as I thought that home should be a relaxing and comfortable place), or should I do something else? I do remind him now and then that he has to be considerate about other kids in class.. but I think, most of the time, he just does it sub-consciously.

First, I would talk to his pediatrician about it. Needless to say, only his Dr. can diagnose him, but your description sounds similar to my DS's tics. DS6 has had periodic tics that are more pronounced when he is deep in thought (e.g., gulping sounds, throat clearing) - they come and go and, from what I have read, are pretty common among gifted boys. Luckily, DS's haven't caused any real problems for him except to annoy his little sister when she is trying to watch something on TV. If they are indeed tics, making him feel self-conscious about them will only make them worse. Try to ignore them as much as you can. But if they are disruptive to him socially, he needs to be evaluated by a professional who can then recommend a course of action.

Q
    Q
    Oh goodness. This is my daughter. (she's 5) Yes, the throat clearing and/or burping is the most recent one. It is driving dh and I NUTS. Before that was something. Before that was biting her arm sleeve. Before that was the 'hands in the pants'.

It also seems very subconsciously, but not sure if it is just tics or nervous behavior or what. :-/
    I've considered talking to a pediatrician, but am contemplating going whether a full eval from someone familiar with gifted and some of the LD stuff might be the better route.

Tammy

S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Well, elder DD11 is diagnosed with tic. (mainly facial) We decided that we will try natural remedy first and the doctor suggested giving her fish oil. I noticed that it happens more for her when she is stressed or nervous (eg. esp. during the start of summer when she had to leave her friends and also knew that she is going to move in a new setting -middle sch). I tried very hard to ignore and to help her keep stress to minimal and also teach her how to deal with it (eg. advise her that everyone is going through the same thing, so she's not alone). When it's bad, it can't be controlled at all. Even when she's playing her violin, her eyes will twitch rapidly with the music. Now things are definitely better (it comes and go).

As for DS8, it never crossed my mind to get him diagnosed. (Hmm...I wonder why?) Now that I think abt it, it could be because he does all those things when he is most relax and in a comfortable environment... so I didn't think he needs "help" in that sense. I suppose I can start with the fish oil supplement too and see how it goes for him. Thks for sharing and offering your views! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations