Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We are updating testing for DS for a variety of reasons. He took the WISC V over 2 years ago [6 yrs old] and again today [8 yrs old]. Same tester. I only have a couple of scores but they baffle me and am hoping someone can shed some light.

Two years ago his VCI was 150 and FRI 140. Today they were 133 and 155 respectively.

Honestly, the VCI of 150 and FRI of 155 make the most sense to me. Not because my kid needs to be *that* kid with the global PG scores [he isn't - he has ADHD, dyslexia and, IMO, dysgraphia] but because I know how this kid thinks. Yes, he's mine and I'm likely biased but something seems off to me [unless someone can give me a reasonable explanation for these changes]. What could cause this drop? And what does a 22pt spread between VCI and FRI indicate? Anything?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Nice to hear from you again, MBM!

Regarding the change in scores: remember that testing at just six is not yet considered entirely stable. Also, you note a Dx of dyslexia. Both of those can affect how his VCI unfolds over time. Additionally, the larger context is that his GAI appears likely to be quite similar to past testing (assuming BD remained somewhat similar); the more general composites (e.g., FSIQ, GAI) tend to be more stable over time than the lower level composites or subtests.

As to how dyslexia may affect the VCI over time: as we move up through the age norms, more and more of the VCI is derived from language acquired by reading, and not through oral language, which means that, for many individuals with discrepancies between their verbal cognition and their reading achievement (aka, dyslexia), their ability to reason abstractly with language begins to diverge from their access to acquired language skills (rich vocabulary, complex language structures found mainly in print, knowledge acquired from text), due to (relatively) restricted access to text. Of the two subtests comprising the VCI, one is mainly a measure of reasoning (Similarities), and one is mainly a measure of acquired knowledge (Vocabulary)--but both are affected by vocabulary. Consequently, Vocabulary usually gets dragged down more than Similarities, but both can be depressed by prolonged limitations in access to text. Typically, I see this divergence become more pronounced later (generally at the secondary level), but in a high cognitive young learner, the comparison group is other young high cognitive learners without unexpectedly lower reading ability, who are probably accessing secondary level text. So the effect shows up much earlier.

IOW, the VCI could be lower because it really is lower (i.e., the earlier result was on the high side, and he is now regressing to his own mean), or because it is being artifactually lowered by his relatively limited access to text. Or some other reason.

Do you know the subtest scores? Were other measures of language cognition or achievement administered? I could probably offer higher-quality hypotheses on the VCI-FRI difference with a little more detail.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    AEH: I'm impressed at your long memory! And it's nice to have your input again smile

Your explanation makes sense and I can rationalize / back into it through certain performance metrics. Despite the dyslexia [I do not have a written diagnosis as the DSM uses chronological age in the benchmark but it is well accepted by his 'team'.] he reads above grade level [approximately 2+ years by most measures] and his spelling is at grade level. Reading comprehension is consistently at to just above grade level. That being said, he reads much more than the average child ... often setting an alarm so he can fit in as much reading as possible before he needs to get up and moving for the day. He isn't reading serious texts or nonfiction. My kid is all about fantasy, magic, mystery and humor.

As for subtest scores - not yet. I've asked for the following supplemental/optional subtests to make sure we have what we need for various extended measures: Information, Comprehension, Picture Concepts and Arithmetic. Are there any others that you would recommend?

Today he is completing the WJ-IV but I doubt I'll have any scores from that right away. Saturday we'll fit in additional tests and will hopefully get to some of the above subtests for the WISC-V.

Once we have a more complete the picture I'll be looking to better understand ways to help him with verbal comprehension ... not to game a cognitive test but to help him bridge any relative gaps that might impede his growth in strength areas - primarily mathematics.

Thanks again!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good to hear that he loves reading. That's typically one of my concerns for dyslexics stealth and classical alike--that their early aversive experiences with reading turn them off from the joys of reading. His reading comprehension, however, really is well below his cognitive peers. Even at the new, lower VCI, one would expect reading comprehension at least a grade or two above his age peers. (For example, the only one of my children--none of them likely PG--who was reading just above grade level (vs four to five grade levels above) at this age is the one who is putatively (not formally diagnosed by anyone other than myself) a little dyslexic and more dysgraphic, with a very similar reading/spelling profile to your DC.) And your DC's taste in reading, though very age-appropriate, is not necessarily exposing him to the higher-level language that contributes most to the verbal cognitive assessments. So your anecdotal reports are consistent with stealth/compensated dyslexia. (And FWIW, ICD-10, which is still the standard used not only internationally, but by the feds/Medicare, retains the criteria preferred by the dyslexia research community, which is not dependent on average-for-age.)

Those supplementals will get you the VECI, EFI, and QRI, which should be enough for your purposes.

Remember that ADHD's contribution to lowered reading comprehension requires slightly different strategies than dyslexia's. Be sure to look for both types of recommendations in your follow-up sessions with the evaluator.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent