Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    galun Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Hi! My DS profile is 5th grade, WISC-V 151, and had constantly hit the ceiling in CTY SCAT which is two grades ahead. This year is the first year of eligibility to take the PSAT 8/9. His score was verbal 450 and math 490. According to college board stats, this puts him at 55th percentile and 74th percentile respectively compared nationally to 9th grades. I have several questions to hopefully help nudge us to the right direction.

1). I say he is 55th percentile in verbal and 74th percentile in math against 9th grade based on this: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/psat-8-9-understanding-scores-fall.pdf. Page 8. Am I correct in my interpretation? CTY was not helpful in explaining what this meant.

2). The district's education services director is well aware of DS, since he was his elementary school principal and watched him grow up from K-4 before he took the promotion to education services director. As a result, he is extremely supportive in how to structure DS' IEP in middle school. Anything in particular we should ask for? DYS could help write the advocacy letter if needed but I don't think we need it. What we really need is good advice in which direction to go. I am quite hopeful we will get what we ask for within reason. The education services director is interested in using DS as a pilot case to further develop the gifted program in the entire district.

3). DS is showing some signs of "underachievement", in that he makes a lot of careless mistakes. He thinks checking for mistakes is pointless because he knows the material and doesn't matter in real life. Therefore, he does well in tests that gives you harder questions until you make several mistakes in a row (are these called progressive difficulty tests?), but can't score perfect in a grade level test because of stupid mistakes that he never bother to check. Any advice? We never really knew how far ahead he was. I mean if I am a 5th grader and I get a 1st grade test, I probably couldn't care less if I didn't get a perfect score due to stupid mistakes. So I kinda get it... but the work ethic is important.

TIA for any advice!

Last edited by galun; 04/16/19 06:10 PM.
    C
    C
    My DS also in 5th took the PSAT 8/9 in Feb. and we have been eagerly awaiting the scores, hopefully, this is a good sign they are on the way.

It looks to me like you are correct with regard to your 1st question.

Just for some additional info...Here is the (last years) Duke TIP 2017–2018 PSAT 8/9 Score Results Summary.

"percentile rankings shown... include only fourth, fifth, and
    sixth graders (9,635) who qualified for TIP by scoring in the top 5 percent of standardized grade-level tests—meaning these score results
    represent a “best of the best” comparison."

https://tip.duke.edu/sites/default/files/atoms/files/456gts-psat89-results-summary.pdf

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations