Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello,

Our son who is not quite 5 will undergo gifted testing this summer, as it is standard for our school district to test all incoming kindergarteners. Additionally, my son has pretty debilitating anxiety and we are setting up a formal evaluation with a psychologist and starting play therapy this summer. The school tests for giftedness using CogAT and the Iowa assessment. The psych evaluation involves an entirely different battery of WPPSI, Woodcock-Johnson, and VMI testing. I’m a newbie, and this is all Greek to me. However, I have read on this site before about problems with too many exams or competing exams... in this case the test are for different purposes and they are not the same exams, but from what I understand some are quite similar. Is this potentially problematic? Should I talk to the school to see if the private testing could be used to evaluate his eligibility for the program so as not to put him through too many exams? All advice is welcome!

Last edited by SarahMarie; 03/22/19 02:40 PM.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    There are two principal questions here: overtesting and retest validity effects.

As to retest/validity concerns: this should not be a problem. The group-administered tests (CogAT & Iowa's--not clear if this is ITBS or IAS) are quite different from the individualized assessments, and would not be expected to affect validity either way.

Overtesting: your child is quite young, so this is a very real consideration. OTOH, he may well enjoy some of the testing, especially the individual assessments. The timing will also make a difference, as you have described a fairly large window. If he's not undergoing all the tests within the same week or two, he likely will not be overwhelmed by the process, as long as it is consistently and effectively communicated to him that the extensive testing is not some kind of sign that he is irredeemably broken; it's for two different purposes. One is just what the school does with every new student. I would probably leave it at that for the district testing. If he has more to ask, you could briefly indicate that it helps teachers know their brand-new students better. The second is to help him and his family understand the way he learns and experiences the world around him, so that the whole family system can learn better/new skills.

On another note, the school probably will, as a matter of policy, not accept private testing in lieu of district testing for eligibility, as that creates equity problems.

Last edited by aeh; 03/23/19 02:42 PM. Reason: extra letters

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi AEH,

Thanks you for your response. You addressed my concerns exactly. I think you’re right about the school not accepting private testing... that makes sense. I think I was most concerned about validity of the tests, but you’ve made me feel better about this. We are hoping to space the tests to a month apart. And you’re right. He probably will enjoy aspects of the tests. I just seemed like so much to deal with all at once as we just found out about both rounds of testing in that last week.

Thanks again!! I’m feeling much better about this.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations