Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #22570 08/12/08 07:08 AM
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    Hello all!

I am a Mom of 2 that I homeschool. Both of my children were diagnosed with Autism (son was Moderate, daughter was Regressive) so I have had some teaching challenges.

They've come so far and are doing so great! I'm so proud of them... Both of my kids are extremely talented in different areas, but a conversation with my mother prompted me to look up gifted resources for children.

My son has gotten WAY beyond my understanding... I have NO clue where to start to get him the extra education he needs.

Believe me when I say this kid needs some DEEPLY advanced studies! Daddy is an ASP programmer, and Mommy is an artist (with computer graphics as a degree), LOL!

He just sucked up every computer program we had in the house and pretty much learned each one in a couple of days. I can not keep up with him, and definitely can not answer a lot of his questions.

Soooo.. if anyone could kindly direct me in this journey, I would Greatly appreciate it!!!!

Cricket (in MO)

XCricketX #22572 08/12/08 07:18 AM
    Welcome cricket! I have a DS4.5, so I don't have a ton of resources for you, but I can point you to a website. I know there are some techies here who can give you some programming resources. But for basic info and resources, have you checked out the hoagie's site? http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

st pauli girl #22574 08/12/08 07:28 AM
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    Thank you so much! I will check it out now.. I'm looking at all sorts of links today. ^_^

Cricket

XCricketX #22673 08/13/08 01:42 PM
    Hi Cricket,
    Welcome, I'm so glad you found us!

It sounds like your son needs some enrichment regarding computers. Does he already know programing languages? Could he work with a mentor? Have you looked into 'online tutoring?' What kind of materials is he able to learn from?

How old is your son?

It sounds like you are saying that he knows more about computers than yourself or your husband? Is that right? Is there a university within range that might have a kindly professor who might take an interest in your son?

I've heard of parents bringing their child for a visit to a college professor and then 'standing back' while the two start speaking in that 'way above my head' way.

Good luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #24051 08/27/08 01:31 AM
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    Hello Grinity, sorry I didn't see your post until now.

Setting up an appointment with a professor is an interesting idea! I may have to do that... I received a call yesterday from the local college. It was rather disappointing. frown

I haven't looked into online tutoring at all..

My son is now 9 (just had a birthday).. and yes, he is programming in several languages already.

I have a degree in computer graphics, and my husband is an degreed in computers and works as a programmer... so we are pretty sure he is advanced! LOL! smile He's beyond us! Even my husband who constantly tells me he can not keep up with him.

My son is really good about learning from books, computer programs, anything he can get his hands on and tinker. He constantly reminds me of a sponge and just absorbs it all in...

Thanks for the reply!

Cricket

XCricketX #24090 08/27/08 10:04 AM
    Cricket,

Just enroll yourself in a Community College classes in C, C++, C#, Pacal, etc and take him along and have him do the work, etc.

The prof will get the picture pretty quick.

The problem with learning on his own is that he will miss some things that he needs to be well-rounded.

Austin #24349 08/29/08 09:30 AM
    B
    B
    great website st pauli....thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets