Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    His APUSH teacher this year gives the kids a list of terms and you have to find them in the book like a word search game. It is driving him nuts.

I was about to write how things hadn't changed in 24 years, but then realized my example of unrelated assignments of questionable educational value still involved thinking and writing. Now I feel silly or sad. Probably both.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I think what happens is that the grade goes on the transcript but it isn't part of the GPA. I think they have to take something like Algebra and have it go on a transcript, because it's required by the State to graduate. If the student doesn't do well in a high school course when they are not yet in high school, they could re-take the course for a better grade. But none of those courses taken in elementary school or middle school count towards the GPA. He has ADHD and acts like a space cadet. So I don't think he ever studied for a single test or quiz. He doesn't even know when they are most of the time. One thing I found disturbing was this year he finished the book early, so the teacher had him do a bridge building project with his peers, working in groups. His team didn't do very well--for instance they probably didn't glue it properly, it was sloppy, and the kid who was in charge of doing the math didn't do the calculations right. Well, that ended up going into his Algebra grade. The bridge building really had nothing to do with high school algebra!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM