Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    Emigee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Hello,

My son (5), who we've suspected to be highly gifted for a while now, will start K this fall. In order to overcome my own imposter syndrome and get some better data about his current knowledge to help with school advocacy, we had our first testing done this week. We opted for something that wouldn't be too tiring but would give a sense of where he is. He was given the Woodcock-Johnson III Normative Update Test of Achievement, Form A. The tester indicated that there were a couple of different versions and the one he was given was the shortest. His scores look like they would be DYS qualifying, but I'm not sure if this particular test is accepted or if he would need one of the longer versions. Here are his standard scores (now edited for privacy):

Brief Achievement
    Brief Reading
    Academic Knowledge

Subtests:
    Letter-Word recognition
    Spelling
    Passage Comprehension
    Applied Problems
    Academic knowledge

All are listed as >99.9 percentile except for academic knowledge (97th) and passage comprehension (99.6).

My questions are:

1) I see from the DYS qualification criteria that he would need 2/3 of "broad reading, broad math, broad achievement" to qualify with the Woodcock-Johnson III (ach). Since our score are called "brief", I assume these results can't be used?

2) Does anyone know how well this briefer form correlates with the longer version? Am I right to think that he would be quite likely to qualify for DYS if we had him take an accepted test? I am at a bit of a loss about how to approach schooling for him and think we could really benefit from an educational consultant.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Emigee; 08/08/18 11:57 AM. Reason: privacy
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    1. Yes, these scores cannot be used for DYS. He would need additional subtests (reading fluency, writing samples, writing fluency, calculations, math fluency) administered to obtain qualifying scores for DYS.
    2. The brief scores generally track the broad scores reasonably well, but keep in mind that there can be wide variability for scores, even in the same cluster, once you reach the upper extreme, and especially for a very young learner. In his case, the difference between Brief Reading and Broad Reading is a silent reading fluency measure. His decoding skills score much higher than his comprehension skills, which suggests that his fluency would be on the higher end of his own range as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he would be quite likely to qualify for DYS on broad achievement measures, as he doesn't have a written expression measure (spelling is a mechanical skill, which may or may not predict his ability to generate complex written language). Fluency (writing speed) is also a factor. The third area, mathematics, is strong in reasoning, but would need to also be strong in calculation skills and, again, fluency.

I don't doubt that he is very bright, but the nature of the broad scores, which are each composed of one mechanical, one reasoning, and one fluency measure, means that a single subtest score isn't always enough to say the broad score will be in that same range.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    Emigee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you so much for this information, aeh! Your response makes me pretty sure he would do very well with the full measure math (he's much stronger in calculations and fluency than the types of questions that were included in the short version - I was actually surprised he did so well, given how little exposure he's had to the types of questions that were asked).

I have a couple of questions:

Would writing fluency be dependent on handwriting skills? This is not his strong point, although I think his handwriting is pretty good for a 5 year old. He would do fine if it's not timed, I think (he does write down complex sentences sometimes, but it's laborious for him and he doesn't necessarily position the words on the page properly). And does vocabulary factor in? We do have a different measure of that, and it was very strong.

Just out of curiosity, how is silent reading fluency measured? The only fluency measures I'm familiar with involve timing a child who is reading out loud. He does well in reading aloud fluency, but I have no idea about silent fluency.

Thanks again for your response!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Writing and math fluency are both all about handwriting speed, and are absolutely timed.

Silent reading fluency is measured with a series of sentences, each of which he reads, and then responds to by circling a yes or no. So it involves a little bit of motor speed too (though not as much as math or writing), as well as a relatively simple comprehension.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent