Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Sheesh, indeed! wink

Originally Posted by Val
    No, that is not the summary of this thread.
    Even after re-reading this thread, I would still summarize it as Meritocracy -vs- quotatocracy.
    Specifically: Admissions via Meritocracy (test scores) -vs- admissions by quotatocracy (demographics).

Upthread, you described an institution keeping women, Jewish people, Asian students out regardless of ability.
    Such policies of admissions/rejection based on demographics would be an example of quotatocracy, rather than meritocracy.

Originally Posted by Val
    I...will re-explain my position here.
    No need; those interested can read your post upthread.

Originally Posted by Val
    It's hard enough to discuss something like this in an online forum without someone trying to frame difficult discussions as an us-vs-them thing.
    Low-income students ... middle and upper income students
    low-income students... higher SES
    low income students... higher SES students
    Some may say that your post frames a difficult discussion as an us-vs-them thing: dividing by income.

By contrast, the OP shows that three NYC specialty schools serve a population of whom at least 60% are low income, qualifying for free or reduced price lunch. Therefore your division by income appears to be erroneous.

Originally Posted by Val
    Please don't oversimplify complex situations
    Due to the number of low income students at three of the NYC specialty schools (as expressed in the OP), your division by income appears to be an oversimplification.

Originally Posted by Val
    I think it's important for a government (in this case, the school system) to provide that help.
    the city should be striving to educate EVERYONE to their potential.
    This thread has included exploration of various factors impacting student success and admission to NYC specialty high schools, beyond the government-provided schools... including level of parental support... valuing education... providing and/or seeking out-of-school enrichment opportunities... learning about specialty schools... registering one's child to take the SHSAT admissions test.

Originally Posted by Val
    hence my idea to make a new school....
    It seems you may agree with me on this idea?
    (The article suggests two new schools to increase the number of seats.)
    I have been suggesting creating more seats to meet demand, for about 5 years.
    Purpose being: admissions by meritocracy (not quotatocracy... not lottery).

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    No, that is not the summary of this thread. The situation is far too complicated to be described in such simplistic terms. I understand that not everyone can see this fact and will re-explain my position here.

Low-income students often need extra help in areas that middle and upper income students don't. I think it's important for a government (in this case, the school system) to provide that help. Hence my idea to make a new school with a lot of slots for low-income students.

Income-based admissions punishes parents for working. How do you define low-income in New York City? Suppose say you say below $70K, and suppose the excess value of attending a selective high school for four years is $40K. Then you are imposing a huge marginal tax rate right around an income of $70K, which is unfair to people earning slightly more.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Income-based admissions punishes parents for working.
    Yes, income-based admissions is a type of quotatocracy, not a meritocracy.

What if two schools were changed from gen ed to meet "demand" for advanced academics (no lottery)... admissions were based on merit (test scores)... and without selection based on income or other demographic criteria... ? The student population might be found to be 60% qualifying for free or reduced price lunch (mirroring current enrollment stats, as described upthread).

Val, would this meet your preference for a lot of slots for low-income students?

Bostonian, would this pass muster as being fair to families just above the low-income threshold?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Even after re-reading this thread, I would still summarize it as Meritocracy -vs- quotatocracy.
    Specifically: Admissions via Meritocracy (test scores) -vs- admissions by quotatocracy (demographics).

The notion that test scores constitute a meritocracy is deeply flawed.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by amylou

Precisely.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I

amylou, please describe how you would determine which students need the advanced academics and intellectual peers of the specialty high schools in order to continue their growth and development, therefore "merit" admission to these schools?

A
    A

amylou, please describe how you would determine which students need the advanced academics and intellectual peers of the specialty high schools in order to continue their growth and development, therefore "merit" admission to these schools?

If there was a valid and equitable measure available, I don't think we would be having this discussion.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    If there was a valid and equitable measure available, I don't think we would be having this discussion.
    Given that we do not live in a perfect world... what do you believe is the most valid and equitable measure available...?
    - test scores
    - demographics
    - other (please specify)

A
    A

Maybe we can develop a test for quirkiness, sensitivity, and overexcitabilities as this seems to be the way people define giftedness and not academic or intellectual ability 😛

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Archie
    please describe how you would determine which students need the advanced academics and intellectual peers of the specialty high schools in order to continue their growth and development, therefore "merit" admission to these schools?

Maybe we can develop a test for quirkiness, sensitivity, and overexcitabilities as this seems to be the way people define giftedness and not academic or intellectual ability
    To clarify:
    - There is a process for identifying gifted individuals, usually involving an IQ test and often a private psychologist.
    - There is a process for selecting students who are a good "fit" for a particular program of a government school's advanced academics, usually involving an achievement test.

This thread did not raise the question of gifted identification, but rather use or discontinuation of admissions testing for NYC public specialty high schools.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM