Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks Aeh. I was really hoping the glasses would fix the writing problem so I have not followed up on the opto. eval. He goes in next month and we can request it at that time. I found out that our insurance does not cover OT for children and we have to go through the school. I don't think the school will do anything because he is not behind academically. I went through this with DS 10 and had him privately tested for writing issues. It was expensive so I am not sure if I want to do this again. DS just turned 7 so I don't know if that is considered young for a first grader or just average. He acts younger for his age though. His counselor sees his hyper activity and short attention span in their sessions so probably thinks his writing is related to that. DS gets bored very easily when not engaged, then disengages and often gets in trouble because he is off doing something else. We see this a lot in team sports for him but luckily not this year at school. I will try the HWOT. So far the teacher sends home letters to write on paper over and over again. He really does not like it and rushes through it making the same errors. He does not write letters backwards but not the correct sequence when forming the letters. He has trouble with capitals and punctuation. He can't remember to do it. He hates writing, coloring and drawing.

E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks Portia. Looks like I need to pursue to opto. eval. I was hoping corrective lenses would fix it. DS has a poor pencil grip and does not write his letters in the proper sequence such as he does it bottom up. Letters do not stay on the lines and he does not remember capitals or punctuation. Handwriting is sloppy without a lot of effort.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Eskes
    DS has a poor pencil grip and does not write his letters in the proper sequence such as he does it bottom up. Letters do not stay on the lines and he does not remember capitals or punctuation. Handwriting is sloppy without a lot of effort.

These can be symptoms of dysgraphia - when our dysgraphic ds was in 1st and 2nd grade his handwriting didn't look different enough than typically developing students for us to realize there was an issue, except that he was frustrated, didn't complete his work, rushed through work when he had to do it. The lack of capitals/punctuation etc was all thought to be age-related and developmentally on-track as there's a wide variety of "on-track" at that age. DS' 2nd grade teacher was convinced he had ADHD due to his behaviors in class, but the real issue was dysgraphia.

It's really tough to determine what's up when our children are so young - we also have a dd who had vision issues that impacted her academics but she was able to cope until she was in 2nd grade, and even then her teacher thought the issue was learning-related. At home we thought she had ADHD... turns out she'd had severe double-vision and tracking issues forever, but she thought everyone saw the same way, hence she never told us he was struggling with vision.

Best wishes,

polarbear

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Eskes
    Thanks Portia. DS has sloppy handwriting and has difficulty keeping the letters between the lines on the paper. DD 4 already has nicer handwriting. He also struggles to use capitals and punctuation at the end of a sentence. Spacing is an issue if he does not use his finger. When he was younger and just learning to write we could not get him to sit down to do it and he would not color either. He does not seem to have a hard time with ideas but the act of writing. His teacher was concerned that his writing does not match his reading ability at his last conference. I am not sure what this means but I will follow up with her again this Spring.

This was my DD in first grade. All of it. She didn’t put spaces between words until third grade. She still can’t do capitalization or punctuation consistently.

Do get further testing. DD9 has a very specific and pinpoint visual processing deficit that can be seen very clearly in her Motor Free Visual Processing Test results. She was also diagnosed by the behavioral optometrist with dysgraphia.

She looked absolutely like a child with ADHD during the writing portions of testing.

Also, I believe the discrepancy between her high FSIQ and average processing speed causes her to look a bit inattentive.

Her reading comprehension was really high even though she showed signs of having dyslexia on dyslexia screeners. Her spelling is affected.

Other than the dyslexic spelling her struggles are strictly visual spatial.

I will add that I’m beginning to think dysgraphia, while an easy description of her writing struggles, does not carry an accurate prognosis for her. Her word choice and sentence fluency have become very advanced—and this is with pen and paper and an inability to fit her writing in the lines.

She would probably be best characterized as having “stealth dysgraphia” now.

So when mixing high IQ with an LD consider the experts’ prognoses with a grain of salt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM