Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 179 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #24251 08/28/08 04:09 PM
    OP Offline
    I'm working on a brochure for our district gifted parent group. I am looking for an attention grabber. Does anyone have a good quote or some statistics that made a real impression on you or that changed your view of gifted children/education? I would appreciate any suggestions.

We currently have minimal involvement in our district parent group. We have about 3000 GT students in our district and only 100 active members in our district parent group. I am hoping to put something together to help them see the need to be actively involved.

Thanks for any input.

I'll think about it...Hmmm...

Kriston
    To infinity....and beyond!

GT- The Next Generation

Do you have a short, powerful mission statement that could be used right after a catchy title?

OP Offline
    No I don't have any type of a mission statement.

Our group has just recently been rescued from brink of extinction so I am starting from scratch. I am currently revamping all of our materials and our website.

A mission statement would probably be worth working on at this stage. I know if I'm looking at a brochure a catchy slogan will get my attention but without a clear purpose stated it won't keep my attention.

OP Offline
    Good suggestion, OGM. I just sent out an email to the other officers to begin working on a mission statement. Sometimes it is easy to get lost in the details and miss the big picture.

Hi. Just saw these on ednews.

"Expecting all children the same age to learn from the same materials is like expecting all children the same age to wear the same size clothing." Madeline Hunter

"Every child deserves an equal opportunity to struggle." Mary Slade

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar!" Helen Keller

"You can never hold a person down without staying down with him." Booker T. Washington

"Excellence in education is when we do everything that we can to make sure they become everything that they can." Carol Tomlinson

"There is nothing so unequal as the equal treatment of unequals." Justice Felix Frankfurter

"When once the child has learned that 4 and 2 are 6, a thousand repetitions will give him no new information, and it is a waste of time to keep him in that manner." J.M. Greenwood, 1888

"Give me rigor or give me mortis!" Michael Clay Thompson

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake." F. Wikzek

"The pupil who is never required to do what he cannot do, never does what he can do." John Stuart Mill

"States and Provinces and curricula around the world track students by age. This practice is so common that we do not think of it as tracking. With few exceptions, a six year old must go into first grade even if that six year old is not ready or was ready for the grade one year earlier." Zalman Usiskin

"Closing the achievement gap by pushing down the top is like fostering fitness by outlawing marathons." Helen Schinske

"Keeping a child who can do sixth-grade work in a second-grade classroom is not saving that student's childhood but is instead robbing that child of the desire to learn." Ellen Winner

"My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram, or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No paradox is more striking than the inconsistency between research findings on acceleration and the failure of our society to reduce the time spent by superior students in formal education." M. J. Gold, 1965

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master." Leonardo da Vinci

Dottie #24686 09/02/08 11:14 AM
    "There is nothing so unequal as the equal treatment of unequals." Justice Felix Frankfurter

Wonderful, wonderful quotes, Elisa! (all of them!) Thank you!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Elisa #24794 09/03/08 12:31 PM
    OP Offline
    Fantastic quotes. Thanks so much, Elisa.

Found another good one:

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
    Michelangelo (1475-1564)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader