Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Newbie- fist post. Thanks for having me.

So, I have spent the last year in the dyslexia trenches. Fighting the school, then testing and proof positive on dyslexia and dysgraphia, then comes the 504 and OG therapy outside of school. I am exhausted.

Here's my newest problem: I know he is gifted but I can't prove it. The school doesn't see it because of his disabilities, his scores are scattered at school and on on his dyslexia assessments (he's had two.) For instance, his OWLS was at 116, above average for language comprehension skills but the CTOPP-2 scores are as low as 76 for phonological memory (5th percentile). This assessment was free through Scottish Rite and they did not take time to explain it nor did they administer an IQ test. None of the testing has ever been with accommodations which is why I think the school's criteria for gifted class was missed (also it was pre-diagnosis and his 2nd grade teacher called him lazy a lot.)

The school advised me against re-testing for gifted now that he is in 3rd grade because if they pull him for testing and he doesn't qualify it will hurt him more. Also, they said he probably would be a good fit but that they 'probably don't have the time and ability to accommodate' him. He's so bored in school and is able to do so much more when accommodidated.

He comes home thinking he is stupid when I know he is smarter than most. He has been helping me solve problems since pre-K. His logic is very advanced. His math skills are great. He listens to and understands audio books for high school aged kids and is able to recall anything he hears despite having terrible working memory. Audiobooks speak to him.

Do I go for outside testing and request the school to place him in gifted? They said they would have to take outside test results to the board for approval and they have only done that 2 times in 30 years.

What if I fight to get him in gifted and he fails because they won't accommodate him? Am I forcing something I shouldn't? The school's program is for high achievers and is not truly gifted, in my observations.

I am unable to place him in private school or homeschool, as much as I would love to do both.

Thanks for listening.

I
    I
    Welcome! smile

Are you in the USA? If so, then the information at wrightslaw would apply, and you could also check your State Laws on gifted education.

The information at Understood.org, and information about helpful accommodations may both be of interest. Even outside of an IEP/504 providing accommodations for learning differences or learning disabilities, it is possible that you may be able to present ideas to your school which they may agree to utilize to help further your child's education.

Your child has many more years ahead to benefit from an appropriately challenging curriculum, and to benefit from accommodations which may teach him how to compensate for dyslexia... therefore I *would* recommend outside testing, if there is any chance that it may be utilized to:
    - help him understand himself better (strengths, weaknesses)
    - help get him a better "fit" in his educational placement and pacing.
    Before scheduling testing, proactively familiarizing yourself with the information contained in the links in this old post may be helpful.

While it is far from an ideal solution, many families help their child by providing "enrichment" outside of the school day: kids get to explore areas of interest, and parents help locate materials, resources, classes, etc to support their child's interests and goals. These extracurricular activities and hobbies allow a child to experience internal locus of control, and the growth which occurs through appropriate challenge.

A
    A
    Funny, we are currently in a similar but opposite situation. My DS was allowed to enter 1st early and achieves adequately-to-well in every subject, so when I asked the school to evaluate him for an IEP for his diagnosed dyslexia and dysgraphia, they refused on the grounds that he doesn't need help. Which he totally does. But they aren't convinced about the dysgraphia, and actively disbelieve the dyslexia.

You might consider an IQ test and perhaps a coordinating achievement test performed privately by a solid professional with experience with 2E kids, if you can swing it. Sometimes it's helpful to have your own feelings backed up by solid evidence, in hand--if not with the school (which may depend on your state/district), at least for your own sanity. Dealing with school personnel who do not understand 2E can be maddening. I often question myself, even though I know I am 95% right 95% of the time in what I'm asking them for.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent