Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240779 12/21/17 09:57 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi, I'm new here, so let me tell you a little about our family. I am the mother of two boys (11 and 9). Both of the boys are in gifted programs provided by the Florida public school system. My oldest is in 6th grade and my youngest is in third. Both of the boys have ADHD.

My youngest is.....different. He is a good student and a bright kid, but he is not wildly beyond his years except in computer science. To say he is good with technology is a great understatement. Since he was about two, he has been learning everything he can about computers to the point of obsession. He writes code in 4 different languages, understands all the hardware and networking. We have a grad student that comes to work with him. Last weekend he made a touch screen interface for our home automation and he's working on writing some hacking software now. Hes 9.

This sounds crazy, but think he's a prodigy. We have a doctors appointment coming up next week and I'm thinking about talking about it. I've told his Neuro that he's REALLY into computers, but I don't think they know what I mean. I'm afraid he's going to laugh me out of his office.

I'm not sure what is to gain by getting a "diagnosis" either? Is there really anything else we can do that will benefit him? We DONT want any kind of recognition. He's not a performing monkey. Maybe it's better to keep our heads low.

What do you think? Would you bring it up?

Christineg #240781 12/21/17 12:50 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

I generally consider two most frequently encountered reasons for further evaluation:
    1. to obtain insight into a presenting problem (e.g., academic or social-emotional challenges, perhaps related to twice exceptionality, asynchrony, or instruction mismatch), in order to inform interventions or accommodations.
    2. to obtain access to additional resources (e.g., GT programming, supportive community).

You also should consider that, since he is already identified as GT, there really are no further diagnostic categories to be had, unless he has a second exceptionality (a disability, IOW). Unless distinguishing his level of giftedness will address either of the reasons for testing I've already listed. You may also already have the kind of testing that would fulfill that objective, since I believe your state public school systems typically administer individual cognitive assessments (IQ tests) for GT classification.

Do you have IRL concerns?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Christineg #240782 12/21/17 01:11 PM
    I
    I
    Welcome! smile

You've received great advice above.

I'll just add three things:
    1) A selection of the GHF Brochures, available free online at Gifted Homeschoolers Forum may help you describe your child. The brochures may be printed and brought to your appointment. For example:
    - The Healthcare Provider's Guide to Gifted Children,
    - Twice Exceptional - Smart Kids with Learning Differences

2) Make a factual list of what you've observed and carry the list along with you to the appointment, to keep you focused as you describe your child.

Plan to leave any list(s) and brochure(s) with the healthcare professional... doctor, pediatrician, neuro, etc

3) Begin a file at home in which you'll keep documentation for possible future advocacy
    - milestones
    - observations
    - medical records
    - dated copies of the list(s) and brochure(s) brought to pediatrician's office
    - test results

Christineg #240783 12/21/17 02:04 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you so much for your insights. My biggest concerns for my son are social. He's been identified by the district as gifted, and also has a 504 to address some ADHD issues. He was obviously different as a little guy and the suspected autism, so we did a lot of testing at that point (they wondered it the computer obsession was a fixation). In the end, autism was ruled out, but ADHD was obvious. I feel like his academic situation is very good because of the measures that were taken, but of course, we would always love for him to have any enrichment opportunities that could be available.

The interest in computers excludes everything else though. He doesn't play sports, watch TV, or even play video games. Every free moment is computers. You can't even force him to do something else. It makes him miserable. Because of this, he has a hard time with friends. Other kids call him weird. He's not prepared to discuss their interests, and they are not prepared to discuss his.

I think as he gets a little older, that may change to some degree as other kids start getting into the nuts and bolts of technology, but he's always going to be different. It is noteworthy that this bothers us more than it bothers him. He mentions not seeing eye to eye with other kids, but isn't losing sleep over it.

Christineg #240784 12/21/17 02:28 PM
    E
    E
    I'm sorry if this is retreading old ground, but how was autism ruled out? Was the ADOS administered (preferably by someone specializing in treating autism)? The combination of computer obsession and few friends, plus the fact that it bothers you more than him, set my autism feelers quivering.

-Mom of two kids on the spectrum, one of whom wasn't diagnosed until she was 11.

Christineg #240785 12/21/17 02:38 PM
    I
    I
    More great advice above. ElizabethN expressed that so well.

It is not easy building a support system for a gifted kid... including making positive social contacts which become high quality long-term friendships.

At some point he'll need the company of intellectual peers, to avoid becoming a social isolate. Most likely other computer enthusiasts will be his kindred spirits or his "tribe"... these may possibly be found among other gifted kids, adults, Mensa members, technology class attendees, robotics competitors, etc.

If he has qualifying scores, have you looked into the possibility of him joining the Davidson Young Scholars?

Christineg #240786 12/21/17 02:40 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Yes, the ADOS was administered by a pediatric neuropsych when he was about six. I see why some people would suspect Autism, but honestly, it never rang true to me. I actually worked in special needs for a grade school for several years. I knew a lot of kids on the spectrum very well, and while I see why they wanted to test, I wasn't surprised when they came back saying that wasn't it.

Christineg #240787 12/21/17 02:43 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't really know anything about the Davidson Young Scholars. I will look into that!

Christineg #240789 12/21/17 04:15 PM
    E
    E
    I'm glad that you got it ruled out by a quality source. (Part of the reason our eldest's diagnosis was so delayed was that his pediatrician said something like, "He can't have autism; look how good his eye contact is!" Um, no.)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM