Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 313 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DS 14 just started his Freshman year at a big out of district high school. He is well on track to opt for an IB diploma his starting Junior year. He is actually ahead of the game.

Two days ago he went to his 2nd year (they label it 3/4) Spanish teacher (totally without my knowing) and said I looked through the syllabus and book, all this stuff I went through last year and want to move up to Spanish 3 (5/6). The teacher took him to the 3rd year Spanish teacher and they both agreed he should be in that class. Yesterday he came to me and said he isn’t interested in Spanish. After school he went and talked to the Japanese World Language teacher and decided to take Japanese. He went to his councilor with the Japanese teacher but had to return today. First thing this morning I email his councilor and get his take on the whole switch. Councilor says its fine but he will not be eligible for the IB program if he switches to Japanese 1/2, he didn’t even know he had switched to Spanish 5/6.

I am very glad he is self advocating. in fact he seems to be really enjoying controlling his destiny but I think his junior year he will want to aim for the IB diploma, maybe I am wrong.

Im not really sure what to even ask. Is the IB diploma really worth it if you have to fall lock step with the Course of study. He says him being (not board and not being challenged is more important.) I feel we have created a monster.

Last edited by mecreature; 08/12/17 06:56 AM.
    I personally don't think that the IB diploma is "worth it" in general, since it struck me as more stress and frustration, of the busy work variety, without any clear benefit.

However, I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in a program.

C
    C
    We have not chosen IB program for both of my boys for two different reasons. I think you look at each kid and evaluate if it is a match. It is so strict with no substitutions...makes it not a match for some kids. My kids needed flexibility.

P
    P
    mecreature - I pm'd you smile My ds looked into IB and found it too restrictive. As his parent, I also looked into it to make sure he wasn't bypassing an opportunity that he'd regret, and I quite frankly, didn't see that he was missing out by not getting the diploma.

Best wishes,

polarbear

G
    G
    We're also finding that IB is not very accommodating of accelerations. DD is interested in a lot of the program, but will have to jump through a lot of hoops to deal with timing of courses and exams.

We spent quite a bit of time looking into the benefits of an IB diploma vs just a bunch of IB classes, and there are few reasons we can identify to worry about the full diploma. The plan at the moment (10th grade), is to take the SL and HL classes when she is ready for the classes, and let the school figure out if they'll make the diploma work for her. She's taking a HL IB class this year as a sophomore, much to the IB coordinator's consternation. So be it.

P
    P
    I love that he could just slot into a higher class. Here the timetabling wouldn't allow it. Guess it is a bigger school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations