Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    ruazkaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    My son has recently registered for 9th grade and after reading a recent post on SAT Subj tests and I would appreciate if someone could comment on the following plan. He is very good in Math and took the formerly EPGY online Physics course so I do no think the course load for 9th grade will be too tough for him.

9th

AP Physics/AP Computer Science/AP Calc BC
    SAT Math II and SAT Physics (to take in May-June right after AP Physics exam)

Not sure which classes he will be able to get for 10th grade but he will take either the SAT or ACT and depending on the classes he is able to register for and how he does, either SAT Spanish or SAT Biology. From what I understand 3 SAT Subject tests is the most that is required so hopefully he could have them all out of the way or would colleges require the tests to have been taken more recently?

Our state has a very good residential STEM school for 11th/12th so hopefully he will get into that school. I understand the level of instruction is great at the residential school and from what I understand, kids who have successfully taken AP STEM courses in 9th or 10th are often required to repeat them so it might be best to take AP Biology/AP Chemistry at the residential high school instead of in 10th grade.

Any suggestions or comments on the above would be appreciated.

B
    B
    What is the typical course schedule for a freshman at your H.S. How many periods in the day? And what are the minimum requirements. Personally I think it's a lot to take those three AP's as a freshman. But you know your kids & school better.

Which AP Physics are you talking about him taking.. AP Physics 1 Mechanics or 2 E&M? Or AP Physics C with Calculus. What classes are offered at your school.

At DS's H.S. they do not allow ANY AP's freshman year, with the only exception of the rare kid who take AP Calc BC as a freshman. And AP CS could be taken in sophomore year but not freshman. There are required classes and limited time to take them like English & Social Studies, and PE.

My son is a senior and taking AP CS & AP Physics 1 & Physics 2. He's currently sitting the Physics 1 test & takes the other tomorrow. It's a lot of work.

If your son is done with pre-calc would look into taking the Math II SAT in June or next fall. It's designed for after pre-calc. There is no Calculus on that test at all.

Do you have a plan of math after freshman year?

R
    ruazkaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks very much for taking the time to comment!!

I share your concern about taking the three APs and this will not be normal for the high school he will attend. He feels he is ready for them all and I think he should do find though given he has good experience with much of the subject matter for the three APs.

He has almost completed the AoPS Calculus book. He has been doing this since January, aided by a tutor.

He knows a bit of Java as he had a summer course in it, but he prefers Python. He was able to get to the USACO Silver level this year using Python so I think adapting to Java for the AP CS class should be ok.

Finally, he completed the Giftedandtalented.com Physics course last year. I think/hope most of the topics are the same in AP Physics C except for electricity. I think the AP Physics C course will be difficult but his school requires Advanced Physics in fall, then the AP course so he should be ok.

The current plan is to take SAT Math II next year and perhaps the SAT Physics subject test. I am not sure what additional physics topics he would need to cover to do this? I read recently that many colleges like to see that two subject tests have been taken so hopefully that will satisfy it.

Our state has a well-regarded residential STEM school for 11th/12th which is what my son hopes to get accepted into. The competition is pretty tough and he needs to have As in all of his courses but also needs to show rigor. Hopefully this selection will suffice as this STEM school has many math offerings. We are not sure what he will do for math in his sophomore year though, perhaps self-study with his tutor or perhaps a local college?

Thanks again and I hope your son did very well on the tests!!

B
    B
    Just a FYI the SUBJECT SAT Tests in Math/Physics are at a lower level than the AP. Physics SAT 2 will be based on Algebra, and Math is set for taking after Algebra II. He might need some studying to take them next year since he hasn't seen the topics recently.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations