Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #23839 08/25/08 03:00 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Did you see this article? I'm interested in hearing what people think about this.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...oogood.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Anybody ever watch The Incredibles movie?

Ugh! Well, there goes our sports/GT analogy, huh?

But seriously, this is a shameful situation. If the kid meets the age requirements and whatever other requirements the league has for players, then he should play. Period.

Sad.

Kriston
    I think everyone knows where I stand! First of all why can't he play "up"?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    I think everyone knows where I stand! First of all why can't he play "up"?

That's what I was thinking. Accelerate him! Find him a team where he's with his peers.

I often think of the Incredibles in relation to GT issues!

Val Offline
    I agree with letting him pitch to older kids. Let's hope he doesn't get worn out from too much pitching, though.

That said, Jericho will get the last laugh when he joins a major league team when he's 20. Thanks to that article, I have no doubt that the recruiters already have their eyes on him.

Val

Well, I wouldn't want my 9-yo with older kids in sports necessarily. I mean, if he's bigger and faster and everything, then maybe. But just because the kid is a fast pitcher doesn't mean he's good enough or big enough to play competitively overall. Plus he does lose a year of eligibility if he moves up, and there's no telling if he's going to STAY bigger and faster.

Too, it makes a difference what the age range of the next league up is. If his current league is 8-9 and the next league is 10-11, then maybe it's okay. But if he's in a 9-11 league and they want him to play with the 12-14yos, then that just wouldn't work for me.

But either way, I feel quite strongly that it ought to be his parents' decision about whether he plays up or stays in his age group, not the decision of the league. If there's no rule that says "kids pitching faster than 35 mph will be moved up to the next age group," then the child has the right to stay with the team.

I suspect the parents have grounds for a lawsuit, honestly.

Kriston
    I read this article independently and came here immediately to see if there was discussion about it. Boy, you guys are quick!

I am very interested in the topic because, as you might recall, DS4 has an obsession with baseball. And he is very good. The natural thing to do, of course, is to let him play with older kids. This happens on the playground and in pickup games all the time. But around here, at least, there is a problem accelerating him in the official leagues. I don't know how it works in New Haven, where the SI story takes place, but ever since the Danny Almonte scandal seven years ago Little League around here has been assiduous about age limits. Unfortunately, this applies at both the upper and the lower ends. So accelerating in Little League turns out to be every bit as difficult as it is in 2nd grade. Seems silly in both cases - why not let them play and learn at their natural level? But when the bureaucrats get involved there is little room for compromise.

Oh dear.

BaseballDad

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I guess the thing that bugs me is that if he is a better pitcher and his team can win, then they should win. Why should they be denied going to the playoffs if they have better players? I think this is just more of the "everyone has to feel good so we all have to be mediocre" mindset.

Are they going to start DQing hitters that hit too many home runs? Or what about hitters who hit fast line drives? It's just weird that this kid was singled out, I think.

Val Offline
    Now that I think about it, making the other kids who are his age play against him could be a good learning exercise for them. And of course, I'm not too impressed with a coach who lets his kids quit just because the pitcher is good. Will they quit someday when the test or the job is harder than they thought it would be?

If the age limits are very strictly enforced, the coaches would do well to help their kids learn to face a stronger player. Aren't sports supposed to be about building character???

Val

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs