Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Have you seen the May 2017 issue of National Geographic magazine? The cover story discusses What Makes a Genius?
    A few snippets follow:
    We don’t know exactly why these people soar above the rest of us, but science offers us clues.
    The truest measure of genius is whether a person’s work resonates through the ages
    we can try to understand [genius] by unraveling the complex and tangled qualities—intelligence, creativity, perseverance, and simple good fortune, to name a few—that entwine to create a person capable of changing the world
    monumental intelligence on its own is no guarantee of monumental achievement, as Terman and his collaborators would discover
    [genius may be] a societal judgement that elevates a chosen few while overlooking others
    nurture imagination in everyone
    Prodigious productivity is a defining characteristic of genius
    One sign of creativity is being able to make connections between seemingly disparate concepts. Richer communication between areas of the brain may help make those intuitive leaps possible
    Natural gifts and a nurturing environment can still fall short of producing a genius, without motivation and tenacity propelling one forward
    Lack of support can stunt prospects for potential geniuses; they never get the chance to be productive
    “what an incredible tragedy that thousands of geniuses or potential geniuses have withered and died”
    exemplary powers of perception
    The article considers genius from a variety of perspectives, and contains great photos including the apple tree that sparked Newton's law of gravity in 1666, still standing more than 350 years later.

The social network maps of Newton and Michelangelo show idols, rivals, & admirers, with fewer mentors, collaborators, friends.

In discussing IQ scores, MRIs showing active areas of the brain, and DNA, one cannot help but wonder whether IQ tests may one day be replaced with other means of measuring intelligence and/or potential.

The online version of the article links to other related articles and also the opportunity to purchase the National Geographic DNA kit and participate in their Genographic Project, including Historical Genius Matches.

LAF Offline
    This is really interesting, thank you for posting I am going to go look at the article.

One of my favorite quotes is:

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see. - -Arthur Schopenhauer

On a totally different note, I originally thought you were posting about the Genius series on National Geographic which is about the life of Einstein. My DH and I are enjoying watching it, however if you are not familiar and want to watch it there are some moments where it is not appropriate for kids (I am thinking of one of the opening scenes in particular).

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by LAF
    One of my favorite quotes is:

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see. - -Arthur Schopenhauer
    Excellent quote! smile Arthur Schopenhauer was an interesting person. A few quick reads: wikipedia page here... Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy page on Arthur Schopenhauer... and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy page on Arthur Schopenhauer is very recently revised.

Exploring more of the links in the OP article...
    One of the related articles linked from the article in the OP is Genius Takes Many Forms. It's Time We Recognized Them All, which references the article in AAAS Science magazine online, Gender stereotypes about intellectual ability emerge early and influence children's interests, discussed in this old thread.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations