Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #238101 05/02/17 02:06 PM
    N
    Nym14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    My DS just received NNAT scores, and I'm very confused. He scored 25 points lower on the NNAT(mid 120's) than his FRI (low 150's) on the WISC. So, what does the NNAT actually measure? I had assumed it would correlate strongly to the WISC FRI, or at least the matrix reasoning subtest, on which he scored > 99.9 percentile. Or are the NNAT problems much more heavily loaded by visual working memory than the corresponding WISC FRI problems? DS was just average in the picture span subtest on WISC, for what it's worth.

Now, I'm worried that my DS will be excluded from gifted pull outs and gifted programming, despite the high 130's FSIQ.

Nym14 #238144 05/03/17 08:16 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Though it is supposed to measure something similar to matrix reasoning/FR the NNAT is generally considered a screening instrument. The difference in scores between it and the WISC-V wouldn't concern me that much per se (except as it affects access to services). It's also usually group-administered, often on the computer, which is not to the advantage of learners with ADHD (vs individually human-administered WISCs).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Nym14 #238147 05/04/17 05:24 AM
    N
    Nym14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Okay. That's a bit of a relief! After seeing getting the WISC done 6 months ago, I just assumed he would score in the gifted ranges on the NNAT. But, it is done on the computer in a group setting at school, and I could easily see DS being much more impulsive with answering in that setting than he would be one-on-one with a psychologist, especially if he had to explain his thought process. Or, he just might have lost interest about halfway through the NNAT. His math achievement seems to correlate pretty well with his WISC scores, so I'll try not to overthink the NNAT. smile

Looking back, my DD's NNAT score was significantly lower than her WISC FRI/matrix reasoning scores as well, but she does have ADHD. I guess I'll have to be somewhat mindful of that possibility for DS, too.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM