Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #238112 05/02/17 04:40 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Is anyone here familiar with Goldman-Fristoe Test of Articulation 3?

DS7 has been getting speech therapy all year. At first, the therapist was pretty sure he'd improve after just a few sessions, but he hasn't. So now they decided to do a full language assessment--partially because his speech isn't improving much and partially because we requested acceleration next year.

He took the GFTA-3, the EVT-2, and the PPVT-4. On the EVT and PPVT, he scored 135 and 139 respectively. But on the GFTA, his score was 45, or <.01 %-ile. Now, I know his articulation isn't great, but it doesn't seem *that* bad. His "sounds in error" are r to w, th to s, and sp to s. However, most people can understand him in context. They're setting up an IEP meeting. So... how valid is this test? And what should we be doing about it?

Cnm #238145 05/03/17 08:28 PM
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    The GFTA-3 is the standard formal test of articulation used by the vast majority of qualified speech and language pathologists. Unless there is reason to believe the administration was not valid, there is no obvious reason to doubt the validity of the instrument itself.

There are various levels of speech intelligibility that SLPs look at for functional impairment, including intelligibility in known speech, and in unknown speech. The former is essentially what you describe as somewhat functional for him--when the listener knows the general topic, and can thus scaffold for articulation errors in the speaker by using her own inferential reasoning. Until one has intelligibility in unknown speech, though, one is not truly communicating clearly and independently.

I would give serious consideration to the recommendations of the IEP team.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Cnm #238156 05/04/17 12:12 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    We will definitely be starting speech per the SLP's suggestion. However, if his speech is really in the bottom .1%-ile of kids his age, I'm wondering if we need to seek out more help or testing for a possible underlying cause.
    He is able to communicate with his teacher and his peers without great difficulty, so I'm not sure how much more to investigate the issues beyond the therapy offered at school.

Cnm #238180 05/05/17 03:19 PM
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Among the other avenues that might be worth pursuing, especially if you see other functional concerns, would be occupational therapy evaluation, as quite often, challenging articulation difficulties are related to oral-motor sequencing/motor planning deficits, which may be part of a more generalized dyspraxia.

Cnm #238182 05/05/17 05:26 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    He has handwriting/fine motor difficulties too. The school OT gave him the Beery VMI test, and he scored VMI: 93 %-ile, VP: 99.9 %-ile, MC: 30 %-ile.
    They're recommending weekly OT sessions and a laptop for him to use in the classroom.
    The OT noted significant small muscle weakness and suggested it might be the cause of the speech difficulties too.

Cnm #238185 05/05/17 06:58 PM
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Good to hear your team is on top of it. One other area that might be worth investigating, perhaps in a couple of years, is dental. I have also seen some students with severe cross-bites and other orthodontic issues improve significantly in articulation after orthodontia. (Not a dental professional, though, just my anecodotal observations, and feedback I've heard from SLPs.) For example, a (2e, actually) student who had both orthodontic issues and motor dyspraxias, with extremely intractable articulation issues, who saw noticeable functional improvement with many years of OT, and with orthodontia (speech therapy, too, but that didn't really spur as much progress alone as with the other therapies).

Cnm #238187 05/05/17 08:23 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    His dentists have never said anything about orthodontic issues. We had his tonsils taken out last December, and I was hoping that would help some with his speech, but I think it actually made it worse.

Meanwhile, he took most of the KTEA today. He was testing for four and a half hours (with several breaks in there). He didn't finish all the subtests yet, so I don't have official results, but the tester said he got to seventh grade questions on both math subtests and eleventh grade questions in reading comprehension.

He's seven, with a late August birthday, so very young for second grade. Lol

From what the tester said, I think he's going to score higher overall than DD8 did last week...

Last edited by Cnm; 05/05/17 08:24 PM.
    Cnm #238188 05/05/17 08:44 PM
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    And this is the same kid whose kindergarten teacher told me, "You can't expect him to be like [DD]," when I told her I was nominating him for the gifted program.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent