Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #23694 08/22/08 07:32 PM
    T
    therah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi everyone! Some of you may remember me, I posted a few times about my GT DD4 and ND DD6 (DD6 who may be artistically gifted, that's a tough one to figure out) last spring. Anyway, I was trying to get DD4 into Kindergarten this year as an early entrance. I just wanted to let you all know I was successful! It took a lot of "pushing", but I did it! She starts Kindergarten at the public school next Wed. Dr. Rimm wrote a letter for her that really helped. I actually had 2 private schools agree to take her, but I wanted her in Pub. sch. bc they have a better gifted program for later in her career. They use subject acceleration, grade acceleration and have group GT projects and field trips. Hsing is not an option as I'm a teacher.

Which brings me to another update. I am participating in a cohort with my district and a local university to earn my endorsement in gifted ed. I started this summer and will finish next fall. I can't wait to get a position in the GT field.

I just wanted to let you all know that the advice, encouragement and understanding that I received from you on these message boards helped me feel like I was on the right track. Thank you for helping me help my dd. I plan to try to visit more often as she progresses through school, however with 8 credits, working full time and a family - it doesn't leave much time. I hope I can help some others who may be going through the same things as my dd gets older.
    Karen

Congrats on the early entrance for DD4! Thanks for the update--I remember your postings.

Good luck on earning your endorsement in gifted ed. We definitely need more people interested in the GT field.

Crisc
    That's wonderful Karen, definately what it's all about. Good luck and hope to see you pop in from time to time.

There's nothing more encouraging than hearing success stories like yours!

I'm a newbie but wanted to say congrats to BOTH of you! lOL! I'm sure you've probably seen it but in case you haven't, check out this teacher of the gifted blog http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/unwrapping_the_gifted/

YEAH for advocacy!

That one is particularly apropos. smile

Good luck to you, Karen. How fortunate your school is, to have such a well informed and caring teacher on staff!

Good luck to dd 4 and dd 6 too. Please pop in and give us an update after the school year is in full swing.

M
    M
    Congrats! Thrilled that you are seeking GT ed training. If you are in the SouthEast, there are a few schools that would love to have you. Good luck with early KG entry. Keep us posted smile

T
    therah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks everyone, I'm a special ed. teacher and I know how important parent advocacy is. I feel like we (parents of GT kids) are at the same place sped. kids' parents were in the 70's. It's bc of the parents that they have what they need and it's up to us to include our kids in the FAPE rule (free and appropriate public education). I checked out the blog about varsity learning, great analogy!
    Karen

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM