Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #23718 08/23/08 07:02 AM
    OP Offline
    Whether you are homeschooling, afterschooling, partial homeschooling and/or advocating:

I ran across this and thought it was fitting based on all the successes for our kids we have been hearning about:

"Believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the
    confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the
    well-worn path, and that will make all the difference." - Steve Jobs

incogneato #23719 08/23/08 07:08 AM
    Very nice words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing!

I have always told my children to have faith that all things happen for a reason, even when the events don't seem to make sense or we can't see the purpose. I think he's saying the same thing with an emphasis on following your heart even if it doesn't make sense or you are somewhat unsure of yourself. Nicely said and good advice.

incogneato #23725 08/23/08 08:11 AM
    K
    K
    That is lovely 'Neato! Thanks for sharing.

doodlebug #23726 08/23/08 08:13 AM
    I'd add, "...and know that you can always change your mind AND your direction if things aren't working."

That gave me the courage of my convictions to do some unusual things. Why not? If they don't work, we'll just try something else. Not every decision has to carry the weight of the world with it.

Kriston
    Kriston #23727 08/23/08 08:21 AM
    That's beautiful, Neato. How fitting when it comes to parenting gt child.

LMom
    LMom #23768 08/23/08 05:16 PM
    Thanks for sharing Neato. And Kriston, I like your addition. We made some radical changes in order for DD to be in a positive learning environment. I believe that in the end all the "dots will connect" but it's easy to doubt it when making the decisions.

incogneato #23787 08/24/08 09:12 AM
    L
    L
    Thank you. I am trying to have faith that it will all work out for the best further down the road, but for years I traveled that well-worn path and I was very comfortable with it because there were plenty of others with me.

Traveling off that well-worn path can be very lonely and anxiety provoking.

Lori H. #23789 08/24/08 09:33 AM
    Wonderful quote, 'Neato. It is very appropriate for parenting the gifted child. Sometime the well-worn path is not the best path for everyone. Besides, the road less traveled can be where the hidden gems in life can be found. You just have to be open enough to recognize them in your midst. I will take the 'follow your heart' path anyday!

And sometime you can meet some pretty good company along that path. grin
    People who truly understand the uniqueness of your situation and the anxiety that it causes. The few friends that I've made here are worth more to me than the all of the other parents at DS's school who do not understand HG+ kids. Thanks everyone!!

(I just wished you lived nearby so that we could swap books and resources!)

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #23791 08/24/08 09:37 AM
    And Lori H., I do understand the loneliness and anxiety that comes with striking out for uncharted territory. That is what makes me appreciate this group all the more! I feel like I have finally found company along the way.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #23792 08/24/08 11:02 AM
    OP Offline
    Well everyone, especially Lori!, I saw that quote and it was the right quote at just the right time. Funny how that happens.

I spent the whole summer and most of last year agonizing over how best to procees towards a more realistic educational environment for the girls.

As a family we had a great summer and I found a powerful sense of calm in knowing my husband and I had come up with a really great plan that we thought would work well for the kids and the school.

I presented it to the principal, he was great, we're doing it!

Then DD8's teacher called me. She was great. Nice. Said all the right things. But I could just hear it oh so subtly in her voice. Mind you, I have a very sensitive ear. But I could just hear the tiniest "this mom is our of her mind what is she thinking" in her voice.

And because what I propose is very different and unconventional, that tiny doubt I think I heard in her voice cast a large shadow of doubt over me and all my careful considering!

Shortly after, I happened upon that quote and felt that the universe had smacked me on the butt and said: "Go on, go on, just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it's wrong!"

Just the right quote at just the right time. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM