Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    What summer programs has your DC participated in? Did they enjoy it? Do you feel like it was a good investment of your money and their time? I'm looking into my options for my middle schooler so primarily focused on TIP, CTY and similar type programs.

I
    I
    Not to discourage you from asking, or people from replying... but understand that so much can depend on one's child, the mix of other kids present for that session, the particular leader(s), teacher(s), or camp counselor(s)... that "the program" becomes secondary.

In general, opportunities with strict entrance criteria may attract more gifted kiddos.

C
    C
    Are you location agnostic? I've read very positive feedback about CTY, TIP, Yanusa and THINK - we chose CTY Intensive Studies as it's a few hours' drive from home which is comforting for DD12. I'll be able to provide feedback in a few months.

Last edited by Cranberry; 03/07/17 12:15 PM.
    DD16 participated in CTY Intensive studies program in the summers of 2016, 2015, and 2014. She loved it. For her and us it was well worth the cost and 14 hour (each way) drive. Three weeks studying one course in depth while being surrounded by true peers was almost utopia for her. The only reason she isn't going back this year is because she's graduating HS this spring.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    O
    O
    Ditto what Cranberry said. I've read lots of comments like the one from SFrog above so my DS12 is headed to CTY at LMU in California this summer because it's in Southern California about a two hour drive from us. If all goes well, as I would expect it to, he will go again next summer or the summer after that to a CTY program in another state.

P
    P
    Our ds also attended CTY Intensive Studies for several summers - he loved it, and it's probably the one and only place in his life (to date) where he found peers he really related to. I was a bit worried about the amount of classroom time (all day and evening), but ds loved it and his classes were great. There was also a lot of well-organized time for socializing.

polarbear

Our DD did the academic explorations (baby CTY) for a couple of years at 10 and then 11. It was a great experience for her - she grew up a lot with the 3 week break from home the first year. Skipping a grade made her the youngest the first year so she found it difficult to maintain lasting connections the first year. Last year was much better and she is in regular touch with friends made there.

One friendship in particular with a girl who probably has a higher LOG than our DD a relationship that she absolutely treasures - there is no judgement. There is just unfiltered total acceptance of one another. As a parent watching the two of them together is pure joy.

DD will be rooming with her new friend this summer for the Intensive studies now they are both old enough.

It is pricey but it has been worth every penny so far.

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/10/17 12:12 PM.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Going to try to enroll in TIP summer class. Info said it fills up fast...going to be sitting there the day enrollment opens ready to register.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs