Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #236848 03/02/17 01:08 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    HI all.
    I want to know if you have any online resource to practice SAGE3- K-3 test for initial gifted testing.
    My DS is in 1st grade. Last year he was tested using this same test. He dint score enough. He says he dint understand what to do. Im sure he will get through this screening this year if I am able to help him understand.
    He is very good in math and reading(above grade level- able to do 3 rd grade math ) but since he did not pass the 1st level last year was not placed in a gifted class. He gets bored in school (math) as he was able to do all this in K itself. I do work with him at home everyday (Math and reading) using various books and websites to make it fun for him. HOpe someone can help me before the testing . Thank you.
    Thanks.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Practicing for aptitude or cognitive ability testing is generally not recommended. Your child sounds like a bright and capable young person. This does not necessarily mean that GT placement would be the best or only avenue for addressing his learning needs (whether or not he receives qualifying scores). Have you spoken to his classroom teacher about differentiating instruction in his current class? Creating a higher math group? SSA (cross-grade placement for math)?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Any cognitive test you could access on line wouldn't be worth much.

S
    S
    I had a similar experience with my DS. He was in kindergarten when he took the SAGES test and I am not sure why, he scored less in the reasoning part and pretty good in the other two sub-tests. However, this year in 1st grade, we relocated and he joined a different school district in a different state and scored in the 99th percentile in his cogat screener. I am wondering if some of the questions in the SAGES test can be confusing for very young children, compared to tests like COGAT.

ss62 #236940 03/05/17 08:41 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The SAGES-2 reasoning test is a single task-type, whereas the CogAT is a few types, so it's not entirely surprising that, in some children, you might obtain noticeably different scores on them. Remember that SAGES-2 is a screening instrument, not intended to produce a true measure of cognition. (And, for that matter, the CogAT also does not claim to be a true cognitive assessment (aka, IQ test), but an aptitude test measuring learned abilities.)

And, as always, I have to mention that very young children can be unstable test-takers for many developmental reasons not associated with the test per se. (SAGES-2 was normed on kindergartners, so it does include them, test behavior and all, in the scoring, but the range of "norm"-al is very broad in five and six year-olds.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent