Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #236732 02/23/17 05:03 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello everyone,
    My daughter scored in the 99th percentile with the NNAT2 and in addition to that was given a reading and math achievement test. Unfortunately, the past year I encountered health issues so my daughter wasn't taught ANYTHING (I home-school her and this past year her schooling can be described as "eclectic" since my health prevented me from teaching her any book work). She's in kindergarten.
    Well, because of her score on the NNAT2 she didn't need much to get into the gifted program, but missed it by 1 point! I feel so guilty and horrible.
    My question is on whether it is realistic that she can make up for it by next year. But most importantly, what exactly does the NNAT2 measure? Because I obviously couldn't "prep" her for that. Does her score mean she has potential to eventually be eligible if I'm able to teach her properly reading and math?
    So basically this is a "what exactly does 99th percentile in the NNAT2 mean for my child"?

LiveLoveLearn #236738 02/24/17 09:00 AM
    I
    I
    Welcome!

Hope you are feeling better.

99th percentile is a high score. That said, it is my understanding that the NNAT2 has been retired by Pearson and replaced with the NNAT3. These nonverbal ability tests are considered "culture fair" and assess a child's ability to process patterns of shapes and symbols. These tests are meant to assess a child's innate ability; Unfortunately, there have been some test preps for these tests.

Kindergarten students, even gifted ones, typically don't receive much formal instruction. The reading and math achievement tests would measure her academic accomplishment in these areas... How did she do on these achievement tests?

Not qualifying for a gifted program based on being 1 point short on an achievement test is something that may possibly be negotiated with a school. For example:
    - a test score is just a snapshot on a given day; A child may have an "off" day.
    - kids may learn in jumps and plateaus, rather than a smooth progression.
    - a new test may show extreme progress/achievement in reading and/or math.
    - a teacher recommendation (after observing her the classroom) may sometimes outweigh test scores and grant entry into advanced academics.

You may wish to learn:
    - How frequently are the kids tested for entry into the gifted programs/services?
    - What do the gifted programs/services consist of?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent