Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 174 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    lurumom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi. I'm new here. DC8 is interested in DYS. Took the WISC-V in 2015. DC is 2e (dx ADHD, ASD, ODD, dysgraphia). The tester said DC refused to do the Processing Speed subtests, saying they seemed like pointless activities, and there were portions of the other tests where DC lost interest and refused to go on. (Laugh or cry?) DC's verbal scores are high, but most of the other scores were average.

1. Based on the verbal score, you think I should have DC take the VECI? I don't know what the raw and scaled scores mean, so I would appreciate anything you can do to enlighten me there. (What are the maximums, for example?)

2. After reading these forums, it sounds like other test reports had more data and explanation than we received. Should I ask the tester for more data? If so, what?

3. Does the fact that DC didn't do a subtest impact the overall score? Is it worth having DC take the whole thing again now that DC's a couple of years older and more mature? Or, based on DC's 2es, is there a different IQ test that's more appropriate?

Scores are below. I'd appreciate any interpretation/advice.

Composite Scores Summary
    Verbal Comprehension (VCI): 146
    Visual Spatial (VSI): 114
    Fluid Reasoning (FRI): 134
    Working Memory (WMI): 115
    Processing Speed (PSI): 89
    Full Scale (FSIQ): 131
    General Ability Index(GAI): 138

Verbal Comprehension Subtest Score Summary
    Similarities (SI): 34
    Vocabulary (VC): 30

Visual Spatial Subtest Score Summary
    Block Design (BD): 12
    Visual Puzzles (VP): 13

Fluid Reasoning Subtest Score Summary
    Figure Weights (FW): 15
    Matrix Reasoning (MR): 17

Working Memory Subtest Score Summary
    Digit Span (DS): 13
    Picture Span (PS): 12

Processing Speed Subtest Score Summary
    Coding (CD): 8
    Symbol Search (SS): 8
    Cancellation (CA): 4

E
    E
    You should consider applying to DYS before you hit the two-year anniversary of his scores, if you haven't yet.

F
    F
    not sure those are qualifying scores based on the new requirements

E
    E
    Oh, you're right - I didn't read carefully enough.

L
    lurumom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    With VECI, DC's scores would be high enough, but VECI hasn't been administered. What is the ceiling for the the VCI without the expanded bit?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

1. If DYS or access to other resources is a consideration, then yes, you should think about obtaining a VECI, which would only have required two more verbal subtests. (Though since it's been nearly two years, you would have to wait out the full 24 months, and then retest with the whole WISC-V.) The raw scores you've listed for the VCI subtests aren't really the determining factor; those would be more relevant for the (eventual) Extended Norms. More importantly, DYS accepts a VECI score of 145+ as a qualifying score, but not a VCI.

2. It would be nice to have more interpretive information, but the value of asking for a more thorough write-up depends largely on the clinical skills of the evaluator. Also, whether you need a narrative report for access to a resource.

3. Which subtests were actually omitted? I see scores for all of the core subtests, plus a supplementary? Did the evaluator question the validity of the processing speed subtests? I should also mention that, given the diagnoses you listed, her "refusal" may actually have been a manifestation of one or more of her disabilities, in which case the scores may be more valid than at first appears. (For example, low PSI scores are often found in dysgraphia. Low WMI and/or PSI scores are often found in ADHD.)

If s/he truly refused because s/he found tasks "pointless" (rather than "pointless" being a mask for "I can't do this"), then there will be no particular advantage in going to another test (I also don't encourage retesting for its own sake--I would suggest having a specific reason for it, such as to elucidate a present educational or emotional/behavioral need, or to obtain access to resources). They all have tasks for which children see no obvious rationale. Sometimes I explain that they address different aspects of learning ability, some of which will be more natural for one person, and others for another person. Everyone has preferences; that is entirely normal. This is also only a small subset of the qualities and experiences that go into a person's development. It may be that your DC will be more cooperative with a little bit more preparative knowledge regarding the value and limits of value of cognitive assessment.

With regard to interpretive observations, the primary one is the obvious point that verbal abilities are very high. Fluid reasoning is also in the MG range. VS and WM are considered High Average (not the same classification as Average), and PSI is in the Low Average range. It is true that almost all the subtests that are not in VCI or FRI are Average. This is a profile that tends to be strong in abstraction, but not as strong in concrete skills, especially efficient work production.

On another note, I find the combination of Dx interesting, as I wonder if some of the behaviors ascribed to ODD might be related to the rigidity of ASD (e.g., is it defiance, or being anxious and "stuck"), and the impulsivity/poor self-regulation of ADHD.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    lurumom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful response!

You hit the nail on the head with:

This is a profile that tends to be strong in abstraction, but not as strong in concrete skills, especially efficient work production.

DC has big ideas and is great a big picture thinking, but can't/won't produce.

Regarding the subtests, yes the evaluator questioned the validity since DC wouldn't participate past the first couple of questions. I think I might ask to have these retaken since DC has matured quite a bit since the testing.

Thanks again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM