Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    Renee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I just found this site! Yea...there's help out there for those of us needing answers. Sorry this is going to be so long, but I need HELP!

I have DS7 entering 2nd grade. He has never been labeled gifted per se through the district...at least noone ever contacted me to tell me this. (There are no programs until 3rd grade and they just took away the Honors Math program)! However, his school achievement test scores are from 97-99% (IOWA). Having three older siblings (one other GT), I have no doubt that he is, in fact, GT. I homeschooled my older three for a period of time, and they are now in public school doing well.

BUT, I'm feeling major guilt over not homeschooling my youngest or at least putting him in a school that challenges him. He came home last year saying how bored he was and how he hated school. I KNOW that he loves to learn as I've seen him at home! (I now work during school hours so it's not an option...even though he has asked on numerous occasions). We cannot pay the $500-$600 a month that a private school would cost either.

SO, we are going tonight to "meet the teacher". My principal suggested that I meet with the teacher first before making any decisions. What do I ask? Any specific questions that might give me an idea if the teacher really knows how to work with GT? I do know we have some good teachers, but I just don't know what to specifically ask and how in the heck do I get over this feeling of guilt? Sorry to be so long winded...Thanks for any advice!

I'm sure you'll get more concrete answers from others on the board who have kids in school, but I know that finding a teacher who "gets" your kid helps immensely.

I would ask what sort of options do they have for kids who are working above level, e.g., differentiation (and if yes, ask specifically what their idea of it is), various acceleration options, going to reading groups with older kids, going to higher math class, grouping.

Ask if the teacher has any specific experience with gifted kids, and what it was.

Don't use the word "bored." Try to work around this by pointing out what levels your child is working at. You don't want to offend teach straight off.

Be prepared by knowing some options you want your DS to have.

Just random thoughts. Others will have more experience.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations