Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Fair teachers who care and who both give and demand respect, well, they almost always get it.

This is a good dictum.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by fitzi
    Fair teachers who care and who both give and demand respect, well, they almost always get it.

This is a good dictum.

Yes - what Kriston said! wink

You know, I think it's really the same problem as the GT issue in some ways: "I'm sorry. We can't do any sort of individualized discipline. That would be too hard/expensive/unfair/much work. Instead we'll do this other thing that doesn't work well at all, but that fits within our narrow definition of what discipline should look like and that we can adminster en masse."

Substitute "education" for discipline, and it starts to sound really familiar, doesn't it?

Too true! It is the same issue. It seems to be our district's motto--no special considerations for anybody. In fact, an upper level administrator once told me that, "This is public education. Everyone gets a Chevy and your child doesn't have a right to a Cadillac." Was she talking about GT ed? Nope. She was talking about a health plan to prevent anaphylaxis. My husband wanted to tell her that all he wanted was seatbelts in the Yugo...

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    My husband wanted to tell her that all he wanted was seatbelts in the Yugo...

Apt response. I admire the character, perseverance, and intelligence you show in advocating in what sounds like a fairly tough environment. We should count our blessings that we have the private option, even if it is a stretch for us.

Thanks for your many kind notes on other threads, BTW.

New threads are good. If you need one, start one! smile

Our K teacher used a similar system to the second one you mentioned, though I don't think she took recess time away for bad behavior. At least DS7 never told me about kids losing recess.

The 1st grade teacher seemed to follow strategy one that you mentioned, which was disastrous for us as well. Then, in a wrongheaded effort to be more positive, I think, she started passing out pennies for good behavior that the kids could use to "buy" junk food from her. But many kids in the class were losing entire recesses, and parents were not happy! One mom threatened to pull her child out if he missed another recess. "Find another way," she said, "he needs time to play outside!"

I always thought making kids walk/run laps would be a good, productive form of discipline, especially for the antsy ones who can't sit still. Making kids sit all day and then taking away their time to move around just makes NO sense to me.

FWIW...

I've been away for a few days and am trying to catch up on my reading. This method of discipline is used at GS9's school. It saves everyone's sanity. The child blows off excess energy but since they are restricted to one area then they still are enduring a punishment since they can't play tag or race other kids.

acs Offline
    DS's elementary school had a brilliant counselor. When a kid was just having a bad day, the counselor could be called and the kid and the teacher would take a walk around the neighborhood and chat. Many of the behavior problems in our area are due to bad family situations and the kids just can't take the stress anymore. The counselor was a friend and mentor to many kids. And when they came back to the classroom after their walks they were much better behaved. I know it takes a lot of resources (we could have used about 5 more counselors), but it showed me how much misbehavior is just kids unable to deal with their pain. They didn't need to be taught what was wrong; they needed someone they could trust, someone who cared.

I love this acs! I think so many times kids do act out because of some sort of pain. Just having someone on your side can make such a huge difference. Your school definitely has a very wise counselor! smile

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I also wanted to help with spam control. smile
    My DS7's public school just implemented a new system this school year called PBS (positive behavior system I believe). I attended the parent info. meeting this past week and from what the teachers and principals say it seems to be working. The school was using the color coded cards which kids would flip after a misbehavior and last year had their highest number of discipline referrals so they decided to try this new system.
    It is all about praise, rewards (they get tokens which they get "bucks" for and then they can use them on various rewards like eating lunch with the teacher, helping out in the library or office, or a no homework pass. There are others, but I didn't think I should list them all. smile If they want to save them up they can and there are monthly parties which cost 45 bucks I think.
    The rules (be responsible, be proud, be respectful, and show kindness) are posted everywhere to remind them....hallways, classrooms, bathrooms, cafeteria, and on the buses. The principal was saying he already saw a difference in the cafeteria and it wasn't but a week into the new school year yet.
    I don't think that DS has "bought" into the system really. I did talk to him about it, but most of the rewards don't seem interesting to him, although he does like the ice cream party planned for the end of Sept. He also thinks that the teacher isn't seeing all the good behavior he is showing. He only has 3 tokens this first week when others have 5 or 6.
    I do think that this behavior system will work with a lot of the students and I think that the idea of teaching them about positive behavior (they have mini lessons to help with that)is a good thing. Like acs' DS' school, the principal and counselor do realize that most of the problems stem from bad family situations so they offer counselling to help the child cope.
    Ok I've rambled on enough. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM