Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    The head AIG coordinator for our county, middle school AIG coordinator for our county, and AIG contact at my son's elementary school have been working diligently trying to figure out an individualized education plan for my 9 yo 5th grade son. They say he has no intellectual peers at his school, and he does not want to change schools (which I completely understand...the kids he is in class with now accepted him with open arms when he moved up to 3rd grade in the middle of his 2nd grade year), so they are trying to find various ways to challenge him.

I don't think he has the rock solid Math foundation (although it wouldn't take long for him to learn it) he needs to skip to 6th grade right now and the timing doesn't work out so he can spend time in 5th grade Math and 6th grade Math during the day.

They have discussed using Pearson Excel as well as Mine Craft Edu to push him further while keeping his interest.

But I'm wondering if there are any Math Books you can recommend that would allow him to take what he knows and go more in depth with the concepts to further develop his reasoning and logic skill?

Thanks for any and all help!

TripleB

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    If you search back through this forum, you'll find many references to Art of Problem Solving/Beast Academy (AoPS) and Singapore Math Primary Math (especially the Challenging Word Problems supplement to each level), both of which have texts and workbooks at this level.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Or you could look at MEP7 or Zaccaro.

T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I ordered the 'Singapore Math Challenge, Grades 4-6'...was able to look inside it and really loved the section on Patterns - as a 7th grade Math teacher I try to stress the importance of finding/seeing patterns in a variety of problems.

I was also looking at ordering one of the Zaccaro books but unfortunately can't take a look inside them. The 'Challenge Math for Elementary and Middle School Student' seems to be for his grade level but I'm thinking of getting him the 'Upper Elementary Challenge Math' first in order to build confidence and also make sure that if there any gaps from his grade acceleration maybe this will hit them.

Again, I appreciate your help!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 11/17/16 06:30 AM.
    P
    P
    I found the AoPS pre-algebra text really felt like a complete summary of elementary school math. It seems to deal comprehensively with all the most basic concepts and operations (from first principles, yeah!) before moving on to more complex topics. There were tons of topics in there DS hadn't seen before, but everything he needed to get up to speed was explained in the basics before moving into more challenging applications.

S
    S
    AoPS Prealgebra https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/store/item/prealgebra For concept depth and problem solving, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by snowgirl; 11/17/16 02:01 PM.
    P
    P
    Have you looked at Alcamus and the videos on the AOPS site? The middle school Zaccaro is one of the older and gets worse reveiws than the others. I like it (although it the only one i have seen) but we don't use it as much as i would like.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations