Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I once heard that the look on the face of a parent with a gifted child is terror.

I think it's annoyance and horror.

Annoyance at the constant pushing of the envelope and horror of the consequences.

Don't get me wrong. I am amazed at my son and what he comes up with. But at the same time I'm weary of the accumulative damage to not only our home, but to my nerves.

I won't go into details much because I'm pretty sure what he has done is not approved by Good Housekeeping, but suffice to say he's a bit poorer since paying for the outcome of his latest escapade.

Please somebody, give me an amen? Am I alone in this?

Ouch.

Well, perhaps Santa Claus will bring you a copy of Technically, It's Not my Fault for the upcoming holiday season?

Because that really put it all into perspective for DH and myself, ultimately-- he ruined the largest crescent wrench that his father owned seeing what Joule heating was all about... and I explored physics in some unapproved ways involving staircases, laundry chutes, and gravity.

We both flirted with explosives. eek

Somehow both we and our parents survived, if this is any consolation.

{PS. In related news, DD has in fact had to spend a full weekend scraping goo off of wood floors, and tape off of painted trim molding.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    Thanks, HK. Your response summed up the kinds of things we're seeing around here. I'm a bit nervous thinking that it may get worse. DS is the type that says to himself, "Hey, what happens if I do...?" and not one to think it totally out before throwing the switch. His dad was echoed in some of what you said you did and my brother in some of your DH!

Good news is we have full homeowners, an umbrella policy and root touch-up.

Last edited by Ametrine; 11/17/16 06:56 PM. Reason: DD changed to DH
    On the bright side, my DH can verify that Sears really does back every Craftsman tool with an unconditional replacement or money-back guarantee. Or they did in the 1970's at least.

Because I'm very certain that: 1) marine deep-cycle batteries, 2)four of them, 3) in series, 4) car jumper cables, three sets of those, and 5) both terminals, was NOT what that item was intended to be used upon-- but they did apparently replace that 28" wrench no questions asked.

grin

Apparently the tennis-ball launcher was a different matter, once home-brewed napalm had been used too liberally.

(No, I'm actually not joking).

Each of us nearly burned our childhood homes down at several points. DD lit a few things on fire, too. I recommend keeping smoke detectors and fire extinguishers on every level of one's home.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    E
    E

Last edited by Edward; 07/01/17 04:24 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent