Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    We actually had my second grader do the beast academy assessments and started him at a higher level. But then he loved the cartoons so much, I went back and bought the others starting at 3a anyway! Also, I have a friend who has been advocating for a math grade acceleration for 2 years for her now 3rd grader, and the school refuses to do anything. So be excited if the school is working with you on this.

OP Offline
    So far I've at least got the teachers talking--that's more than has happened in the past. Both the gifted teacher and DD's regular teacher are speaking to the principal, gifted coordinator and math curriculum leader. Right now I'm just waiting to see what everyone says. I'm not sure a whole-grade acceleration is the right answer, but I hope they AT LEAST allow DD8 to move through the curriculum faster.

OP Offline
    UPDATE:
    I bought one of the Beast Academy books (3A). Both DD's math teacher and gifted teacher are looking into these books as resources in their classrooms in the future as well.

Met with the principal yesterday, and we started the process to see if DD is a good candidate for whole-grade acceleration. He is VERY open-minded about acceleration, has already bumped up 2 kids this year alone, and is taking our concerns very seriously. The district follows the IAS for determining if acceleration is appropriate, so that's been great.

So now waiting for DD to take a test and meet with the counselor. Should have a decision in less than 2 weeks! They're working this up fast!

I feel very grateful to live in a district that's open to all of this.

_
    _
    Oh sheesh! That's wonderful!

We have worked like crazy to try to get a grade of math subject acceleration for our 1st grade DS and it has not happened so far. We hope next year is the year.

If you can do this, I would say go for it! I see like zero downside to subject acceleration in your situation.

If she needs a whole grade skip that's something too, but yeah, I would be excited about the subject acceleration if they will offer it. smile

OP Offline
    Angie, sorry to hear about your struggles. Seems like more often than not, schools create more barriers than opportunities for gifted kids. How frustrating!

I was surprised at how open to acceleration our school district is. If DD isn't a good candidate for whole-grade, then we'll look into single subject acceleration and perhaps skipping 4th grade next year. Not really sure yet until some testing comes in. Also, DD8 seems nervous about going to 4th grade after the winter break--I think reality has hit her and she's scared to meet a new teacher, new kids and think she's expected to "know" everything already taught in the class.

At any rate, I'm grateful DD is getting attention paid to this issue, and if she doesn't accelerate this year, at least other things can be done to help challenge her.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM