Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone here had their child go through this program? I am looking for an "insider" info.
    Ania

K
    K
    Can anyone tell me a bit about the level of vocabulary for the SCAT. My son is just finishing 3rd grade.

Aisha

Hi Aisha,
    My son took the Scat in third grade. But he didn't mention the any examples of words, so I don't have a feel for it. All I can say is - stick around, as the test may be much shorter than the allotted time.

As talent search or "above level" tests, then are intended to test "aptitude," that is, a child's ability based on not having been taught the material. There's not much information to glean from the test if the material has already been studied, which is why they test by grade level, rather than by age. The above level tests are useful as a cheap way to compare a whole group of high achieving students and see which ones are have a "readiness level" that is beyond what is expected for that grade level.

What on your mind?
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Ania,

My son is taking an EPGY online math course and it's very challenging. I don't know about the summer programs though--sorry. Are you considering RMTS this year? My son wasn't enamored with their course offerings and is thinking about taking a Duke TIP course (for a few more days at least--then time's up). Duke definitely offers the most courses and best variety. My son is having second thoughts about spending 3 wks away, since he'd love to just hang out with his buddies here. I'm trying not to pressure him, but I fear he'll be so bored if he stays here. We'll see.
    Cym

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Cym :
    No, we are not going to Denver this year. Are going to do an intense violin camp in SLC when RMTS is offering its session. Also, when I looked at the qualifying SAT/ACT/EXPLORE scores they seemed to be lower than last year requirements. Maybe I am mistaken, since Ghost took PLUS last year and it is no longer ofered, I can't really compare . But I remember very well, that last year, when we were researching summer institutes, RMTS had the highest scores required to attend (not counting THINK).
    For now the plan is to do THINK next year, althought we wanted to go to Europe and THINK is 3 weeks long, taking away the chunk of vacations. But from what I see, THINK gathers the most advanced kids. I do not know anyone that attended, do you?
    In addition to violin camp my kids will do Astro camp and take a one week program at the U of Utah. I want Ghost to take an AMC 8 prep course through EPGY during the summer - he has agreed, so far :-)But he is not going to be in a cluster of gifted kids this summer, and this is what he liked best about RMTS. I don't know sometimes what to do with him anymore. I know for sure that one of the reasons he is doing so well is tha fact that he has been challenged since he was a toddler. He loves challenges and is not afraid of them. But it is becoming more and more difficult to challenge him by myslef. Sometimes I thing I should take my kids to Europe for a year and have them do English online while atending a school there. With the incident at VT this past week I have been quite emotional, and all the things that are usually hidden deep inside me are beginning to pop up again. I am furious at the educational system in this country , I am furious at the parents, I am furious at the values that I am constantly exposing my kids to. I am furious at myself for not knowing what to do next!
    Sorry, needed to vent!

What kind of a math course is your son taking? How helpful is the instructor and the materials they send you? My daughter is doing Alex and we really love it. She will continue through the summer - it costs nothing compared to EPGY course, but I have to say that I can't compare qualities.

My son is 12 now, finishing sixth grade. I do have a lot of emotions recently concerning his nearest future, but will rumble about it somewhere else, if at all :-) I quess I feel the need to vent ;-)feeling somewhat hopeless.
    Ania

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Ania,

I sometimes feel overwhelmed by trying to find what's best for my boys. Challenging them without overstepping--and now, as they get older, respecting their choices and personality "quirks". For instance, my oldest son (I'll call him Wisper) went to RMTS last summer at my urging. I told him I had read how valuable these experiences were for highly/profoundly gifted students to be amongst their peers. I asked him to do it for me this once and I wouldn't ask him again. He loved it. This year he wanted to go back but preferred course choices available at Duke. He was nervous about going so far (NC) and to a new place, as well as unhappy about being away from his buddies for so long, but ultimately decided to go. I think these elements add to the "challenge" and are just as important experiences as the academics and peer group. Flying unaccompanied, skipping a grade, any out-of-the-box situation requiring courage and resourcefulness are also "challenges". This year, Wisper tried out for middle school basketball team (even though he's one or two years younger, less-developed, shorter) and didn't make it--that was another "challenge". He made the soccer team and that is really a fantastic experience for him. I guess my point is that I feel challenges can be introduced on many levels, not just academic. In registering for high school, I told him that I would advocate for him to get into the AP courses his Freshman year (typically reserved for jr & sr). He elected not to do that to get established and be among his friends, as well as have some free time for golf, MESA club, etc. I'm fine with that for next year, but need to keep re-evaluating with him.

He's taking EPGY honors algebra this year and is almost through. He did not access the tutors or video classroom, relying entirely on lectures and homework/exams. The tutors always email their availability to help, but he is self-teaching (I think he's making it harder than it needs to be). EPGY is a bit complicated with lectures, quizzes, homework, pre-tests, exams, midterm, final, video classroom. It took us about a month just to understand how to do it...and it is expensive. Taking the course has basically doubled Wisper's math because he's not doing it through school and still is responsible for schoolwork. But he recognized that he hadn't been advancing in school much and requested that he take the course. My second and third sons love ALEKS (through school) and I'm hoping they'll continue to work on it through the summer.

Yes, I think RMTS has lowered their scores some, but they also require 3 recommendations...it's too many hoops. Duke's TIP has 2 summer programs, and one has higher score requirements (Center vs. Academy). THINK still has the highest (I think :)), but limited selection of courses. I'm also happy that Wisper will be part of another college community--it'll help him understand what's important to him when he's deciding on colleges.

For each of my kids' summer plans I've tried to get them to try something different, something they were a little nervous about, as their challenge.

Don't worry about venting--I can completely relate, and I think that's why I like this bulletin board. Don't feel hopeless...agonizing over these things is our job and once we feel at peace with our decisions, we'll know it's right.

Cym

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM