Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    This is a tangent but I'm curious about something. Are there any tests designed for separating out LOG? I know some people have developed brackets for mainstream tests but I am wondering if there is anything out there specifically for the gifted population.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by George C
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Why can't all of us have a conversation and learn from each other no matter what the alphabet in front of the G is?
    My point exactly. Why change any other letter to a P before posting?
    Why care so much when they do?
    It is disappointing to see you repeat this, when it has been well answered upthread:
    Originally Posted by Val
    I do care, because making a claim about being "PG" when it isn't true can lead to all kinds of problems. For example, if people are fabricating giftedness, their posts can't be trusted. Yet we can't know who's making it up, and so parents here may be believing advice based on experiences that never happened. This could tend to harm their children rather than help them.

Also, if a false claim of giftedness is made in real life, it can make teachers cynical when an actual HG+ kid comes along. How many of us have had to convince teachers that our kids really are gifted in the face of a belief that parents make it up? That belief isn't formed in a vacuum.
    (And if anyone here is fabricating giftedness, please stop that.)

I will join with another parent here, in asking why this does not bother you.

KJP #233658 09/10/16 01:50 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by KJP
    This is a tangent but I'm curious about something. Are there any tests designed for separating out LOG? I know some people have developed brackets for mainstream tests but I am wondering if there is anything out there specifically for the gifted population.
    "Levels of Gifted" (LOG) is a means of describing and grouping distinctions between IQ scores at the upper tail of the normal distribution or bell curve.

The percentiles are determined by comparing the IQ scores relative to other test-takers.

aeh describes this well in a post upthread.
    Originally Posted by aeh
    All terms are short-hands for much more complex and nuanced constructs, and tend to accumulate social-emotional accretions over time, often resulting in their eventual abandonment, under the weight of these overgrowths. (E.g., at the other end of the cognitive spectrum, such previously neutral terms as idiot or mentally retarded.) We use these terms only for convenience in communication. As soon as they become obstacles to effective communication, they lose their purpose.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by maisey
    I have read hundreds of previous posts by many posters here over the years. I always use the advanced search to look up things.
    For me it has been a treasure trove of information.

smile
    Agreed. Board rules encourage this.
    Originally Posted by board rules
    Before posting, use the Search function. It is likely that your question or something similar to your question has been asked before. The Search function will allow you to see whether your question has already been addressed.
    smile

F
    F
    In less than two years since this post, there has been a change in DYS qualification criteria, as well as parental posts of a child admitted with scores below the new, less stringent qualification criteria.

Catching up here after I was referenced on page 7. Phew! Hot topic! I'm honored to have rocked the boat to this degree.

So, Davidson refers to serving the profoundly gifted community and has set the minimums at one subtest score of 145. So is 145+ PG? Google can lead you to believe that 141+ is PG (source)...or 152+ (source)...or 160+ (source)...or even 180+ (source). So which is it?

My intention in applying wasn't to contaminate DYS with a not-PG kid. My intention was to find additional resources in best serving my kid. And I have achieved that. And I am pleased. Nobody but those that received her DYS application have seen her full written report, her tested grade-level equivalents, her supporting work samples, her nominator letter. I'm happy that DYS focused on the "whole child" when considering her application. Will I walk around calling her PG based on her acceptance? Nope. Will I now have a wonderful additional resource in caring for her unique emotional and academic needs? Yup.

Given the broad range of PG definitions, and the even broader range of our kids' qualities/abilities, at the end of the day no two children--even with identical "scores"--are going to have identical needs. I think everyone here knows that regardless of what letter they assign in front of their kid's "G."

tl;dr Can't we all just get along?

Last edited by fjzh; 09/10/16 07:28 AM.
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by fjzh
    In less than two years since this post, there has been a change in DYS qualification criteria, as well as parental posts of a child admitted with scores below the new, less stringent qualification criteria.

Catching up here after I was referenced on page 7. Phew! Hot topic! I'm honored to have rocked the boat to this degree.

So, Davidson refers to serving the profoundly gifted community and has set the minimums at one subtest score of 145. So is 145+ PG? Google can lead you to believe that 141+ is PG (source)...or 152+ (source)...or 160+ (source)...or even 180+ (source). So which is it?

My intention in applying wasn't to contaminate DYS with a not-PG kid. My intention was to find additional resources in best serving my kid. And I have achieved that. And I am pleased. Nobody but those that received her DYS application have seen her full written report, her tested grade-level equivalents, her supporting work samples, her nominator letter. I'm happy that DYS focused on the "whole child" when considering her application. Will I walk around calling her PG based on her acceptance? Nope. Will I now have a wonderful additional resource in caring for her unique emotional and academic needs? Yup.

Given the broad range of PG definitions, and the even broader range of our kids' qualities/abilities, at the end of the day no two children--even with identical "scores"--are going to have identical needs. I think everyone here knows that regardless of what letter they assign in front of their kid's "G."

tl;dr Can't we all just get along?
    Indigo, this is why it doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted by dusty
    Why can't all of us have a conversation and learn from each other no matter what the alphabet in front of the G is?
    My point exactly. Why change any other letter to a P before posting?
    Why care so much when they do?

Surely, as an assumed gifted person yourself, you must understand what it's like: the investigative nature, being pedantic, to sense of injustice. I know I feel these things.

I know I enjoy going through past post and noticing those whose kids' ages and scores change over time. Someone wants their child to be hunger and therefore more achieving; or someone is suddenly more gifted because they chose tongo by the GAI incorrectly. It's interesting.

There's no laws to saw that no one can use the term "PG"; it would just be nice if we could just stick to decency and not mislead each other when we're meant to be in a safe place and can be quite intimate, sometimes.

I have my own enrichment club for PG kids. I deal with parents trying to deceive quite often. It's frustrating trying to find friends for my kids when they are such outsiders from the average community and the gifted community.

So, the question is: why doesn't it bother you?

Aah, that sense of injustice. The reason I keep coming back here is to appeal to your sense of justice to realize that people post what they need to post at a certain given time. Maybe they really need to clarify what level of G their kids are and think mentioning PG without test results will help communicate their worries faster. Maybe they see something in their kids and are in panic mode. I'm really not being hysterical, dusty. Just overly pedantic these last few days and quite unlike my usual quiet self. smile

Yes, I agree that it is definitely interesting how stories change. But I like to give people the benefit of the doubt all the same.

When you start an enrichment club, what do you expect parents to do? Any parent would want to give their kids the best opportunities! When I organize small group learning opportunities and I know that I am looking for a certain level of maturity and understanding, I usually source families directly. I don't advertise. I write directly to families with kids who will be a good fit. Might that work better for you? Just an idea?

It doesn't bother me specifically because I belong to a large gifted community (of all flavors, including some really super amazing 2e kids) in real life and have watched and learned over the years that my child does not really benefit in the end from only learning to mix with kids at the same or similar level of giftedness/ ability/ achievement. A couple of his closest friends were not identified but are very obviously HG-PG and their 2e-ness masks that a lot. Personally, as a parent, I have learned so much from all of the other parents. Usually, in my experience, when a parent is snobby and elitist and picky about who their kids are mixing with, there is something they are seeking to hide. The truth then comes out that their kids are not what they've claimed to be. But we don't discover that by policing everyone. We give them the benefit of the doubt and even if it comes out that the parents were lying, we don't come out with a set of rules saying you have to qualify what you say or that you cannot be a part of the community anymore. We still get along. People are always learning and it's nice to give them room to do that.

Last edited by solaris; 09/10/16 08:45 AM. Reason: to add details
    I
    I

Catching up here after I was referenced on page 7.
    If you do not wish to have a post quoted, you may state so. I have now removed my link to your post. smile However you have replicated the link in your post. From this point onward it is up to you as to whether you wish to maintain your link to that post, or edit your post to remove that link, and possibly also ask others who've replicated it to remove it... this would include Quantum2003 and George C.

So is 145+ PG?
    We've been using that as a working definition for purposes of this discussion thread, due to the mention of both "Profoundly Gifted" and "145+" on the DYS qualification pages, while also recognizing G/MG < HG < EG < PG, as summarized on Hoagies webpage which lists 4 LOG, each with progressively higher FSIQ scores.

Google can lead you to believe that 141+ is PG (source)...or 152+ (source)...or 160+ (source)...or even 180+ (source). So which is it?
    A couple of responses to this:
    1) Google only amasses and replicates content on the web, it makes no attempt to convince a reader or "lead you to believe" anything.
    2) With the exception of the first source quoted, which reports the same score for Exceptionally and Profoundly gifted ... All scores which you list as being found through google are 145 or above, therefore, in shorthand form: 145+.
    3) As mentioned upthread: The numbers will change when a different measurement instrument is utilized (for example, cm side of tape measure vs. inch side of tape measure), even when the same object is measured and found to be the same (equivalent) size.

My intention in applying wasn't to contaminate DYS with a not-PG kid.
    I do not believe that anyone has expressed that DYS has been "contaminated". On the contrary, it has been stated multiple times: "Inclusion is great, so long as new populations do not supplant the profoundly gifted kiddos which Davidson set out to serve. smile "

My intention was to find additional resources in best serving my kid. And I have achieved that. And I am pleased. Nobody but those that received her DYS application have seen her full written report, her tested grade-level equivalents, her supporting work samples, her nominator letter. I'm happy that DYS focused on the "whole child" when considering her application.
    A few thoughts on this:
    1) This is great. smile
    2) As expressed upthread... and this is only a guess..
    Originally Posted by post upthread
    This would seem to indicate that scores just missing the cutoff (and within the standard error's confidence interval to include the cutoff score for eligibility) may be considered as eligible, depending upon the strength of other portions of the application...

Will I now have a wonderful additional resource in caring for her unique emotional and academic needs? Yup.
    Excellent!

Given the broad range of PG definitions, and the even broader range of our kids' qualities/abilities, at the end of the day no two children--even with identical "scores"--are going to have identical needs.
    Agreed.

Posters stories can change over time. Mine has. I only shared qualifying Achivement scores for DYS with one person here.

I have not bothered this poster with additional test scores. No need to. I started out with only a RIAS score back in the day.
    Progressed over the years to other scores from various tests. Every single test has revealed the same issues common with ASD in the language area.
    I have gone from thinking my child with ASD may have had hyperlexia, to not. Being only HG to PG.

I even had therapy for myself to be able to come to terms and admit he is PG.

I feel stupid at times. He is so smart. Everyone has a story. Some are true some are not.

Last edited by maisey; 09/10/16 09:08 AM.
    I
    I
    Due to the limits of nesting quotes, I will take the liberty of paraphrasing:

1) George C: Why would anyone care if a parent calls their child/ren profoundly gifted (PG), when the child/ren is/are not tested and reported to be profoundly gifted?

2) Val, quoted upthread:
    Originally Posted by Val
    I do care, because making a claim about being "PG" when it isn't true can lead to all kinds of problems. For example, if people are fabricating giftedness, their posts can't be trusted. Yet we can't know who's making it up, and so parents here may be believing advice based on experiences that never happened. This could tend to harm their children rather than help them.

Also, if a false claim of giftedness is made in real life, it can make teachers cynical when an actual HG+ kid comes along. How many of us have had to convince teachers that our kids really are gifted in the face of a belief that parents make it up? That belief isn't formed in a vacuum.
    (And if anyone here is fabricating giftedness, please stop that.)
    3) dusty to George C, and indigo to George C: Why would you not care?

4) George C, answering why unsubstantiated claims of PG do not bother him:
    ... Will I walk around calling her PG based on her acceptance? Nope...
    Indigo, this is why it doesn't bother me.

George C, Please note the poster which you quoted is not a person calling a child PG.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM