Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
    SLO #206857 12/03/14 02:08 PM
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by SLO
    “What is giftedness?” indeed. I am going off on a tangent here, but I hope you’ll bear with me. ...

SLO, I just sent you a loooong PM.

(bump)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Originally Posted by Val
    It's like...it's okay to be rude to HG+ people ("you must have hothoused him/you are so pompous for bragging about your kid's high IQ/etc.), but it's not okay to say, "Okay then, I'll find a HG+ sandbox to play in" because suddenly that sandbox becomes a hotbed of HG+ elitism and pomposity.

I am NOT saying that this attitude prevails here. I'm saying that too much inclusiveness can start off like a wonderful idea and end up sidelining the people a program was originally designed to benefit.

While I agree that this can be a problem, I think that these forums are somewhat protected by the fact that DITD Young Scholars program is not going to become more inclusive - they are 145+, no exceptions. So I think that these forums will continue to draw a higher-IQ population than other "gifted" venues.
    In less than two years since this post, there has been a change in DYS qualification criteria, as well as parental posts of a child admitted with scores below the new, less stringent qualification criteria.

RRD #233525 09/07/16 09:17 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Indigo, I am curious as to why you are reviving this old thread, seemingly out of the blue.
    This thread was recently linked by another poster on the current active thread "PG? Husband is a skeptic, I am on the fence"

Originally Posted by RRD
    Taken out of context, I would interpret it to mean that you are frustrated that there are folks on here whose DC are not EG or PG. Am I correct?
    No, you are not correct. In general, it is not helpful for things to be "taken out of context", as doing so may lead to misinterpretations.

Originally Posted by RRD
    In your view, should those of us with DC who are MG search for a community elsewhere?
    As stated in this recent post, "On this forum, all are accepted, supported, and encouraged regardless of level-of-gifted (LOG); There is no need to make embellished claims of a child's intellectual gifts."

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Thank you. I hope it was clear enough that there was no ill will behind my question. I would genuinely understand if parents of EG and PG kids wanted a community of their own to share and commiserate. That said, we continue to have some serious struggles with DS6 (mostly around the OEs and possibly with an undetected LD) and I have found some solace and sage advice on this forum. I am currently reading The Explosive Child, and I hope it will help.

Cheers. smile

RRD #233529 09/07/16 10:59 AM
    I
    I
    You seem to have a very realistic approach to learning about and helping your child, and I hope you can continue to find answers which are useful for understanding, raising, and advocating for your child. Kudos to you for not inflating or embellishing your child's level of gifted (LOG). smile

G
    G
    Originally Posted by indigo
    In less than two years since this post, there has been a change in DYS qualification criteria, as well as parental posts of a child admitted with scores below the new, less stringent qualification criteria.
    Trying to remember where I heard this, but I believe that there was some recognition that the HG+ 2e population was being underserved by the YS program, which was one likely reason for the change?

I also know that Davidson has maintained that they look at the whole child, indicated by the fact that the application process asks for complete assessment results (including writeups) and will not accept scores by themselves.

And thank you for providing context in a later post. Even though I was the poster that referenced that old thread, it seemed out of the blue to me, too!

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by indigo

To be fair, qualifications have not been lowered across the board. You need considerably higher scores on the Explore and on the SAT now. For example, the Minimum SAT scores went up some a few years back and then the last change in 2016 went from requiring just one to two out of three (Math, CR, Composite) SAT scores. In fact, it is now easier to qualify for Davidson Academy than for Davidson Young Scholars on the SAT because you only need one qualifying SAT score for the academy versus two for DYS and the minimums are the same.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 09/07/16 03:35 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by George C
    Trying to remember where I heard this, but I believe that there was some recognition that the HG+ 2e population was being underserved by the YS program, which was one likely reason for the change?
    This may have been conjecture read from the thread DYS qualification criteria. Other conjecture included expanding access to families for whom encountering fewer test fees may be a significant budgetary factor.

I'm curious as to what informs your view that the DYS mission is to serve HG+, rather than Profoundly Gifted?
    Originally Posted by DYS webpage
    The Davidson Young Scholars program provides FREE services designed to nurture the intellectual, social, emotional, and academic development of profoundly intelligent young people
    Originally Posted by YSApplicationChecklist.PDF
    The Davidson Young Scholars Program is designed to provide parents of profoundly gifted young people with individualized assistance in the areas of educational advocacy and planning, social/emotional, and talent development.
    Originally Posted by George C
    I also know that Davidson has maintained that they look at the whole child, indicated by the fact that the application process asks for complete assessment results (including writeups) and will not accept scores by themselves.
    The Davidson Young Scholar program qualification criteria webpages plainly states (in context):
    The scores listed below represent the minimum eligibility requirements for consideration of admission into the Young Scholars program. Testing information is evaluated in the context of the rest of the application and supporting materials to determine admission eligibility. The Davidson Institute is unable to determine whether or not an applicant will qualify for the Young Scholars program outside the context of a complete application.
    The Davidson Young Scholars Qualification Criteria was developed to identify students at the extreme end of the gifted continuum, which is the population served by the Young Scholars program. The criteria for individually administered tests typically represent scores in the 99.9th percentile.
    Must meet or exceed the score guidelines listed...
    Other eligibility criteria include factors such as: age, citizenship/residency, extreme precocity, student’s ability to learn and process complex information rapidly.

Backpedaling statements which retreat or withdraw from the minimum requirements as expressed on the website include:
    Information included here will not add substantially to the review committee’s decision, nor override test scores that fall significantly below the Minimum Score Guidelines listed above.
    This would seem to indicate that scores just missing the cutoff (and within the standard error's confidence interval to include the cutoff score for eligibility) may be considered, depending upon the strength of other portions of the application...
    and
    Extenuating circumstances, as determined by the applicant and family...
    and
    Originally Posted by YS FAQs
    However, we recognize that testing is only a small snapshot of a whole child and we take the entire application into consideration when determining eligibility. If the tester feels there were extraneous circumstances preventing a child from meeting the minimum criteria, a letter from the tester included with the application to explain the test scores will be considered in the review process.

There is good and bad in everything... inclusion is great, so long as new populations do not supplant the profoundly gifted kiddos which Davidson set out to serve. smile

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    To be fair, qualifications have not been lowered across the board. You need considerably higher scores on the Explore and on the SAT now. For example, the Minimum SAT scores went up some a few years back and then the last change in 2016 went from requiring just one to two out of three (Math, CR, Composite) SAT scores. In fact, it is now easier to qualify for Davidson Academy than for Davidson Young Scholars on the SAT because you only need one qualifying SAT score for the academy versus two for DYS and the minimums are the same.
    Thank you for this analysis.

I would tend to agree with having raised the qualifying scores on Explore and SAT, because these tests have changed, there are many study guides and prep courses, and students may take these multiple times, only reporting their highest scores. I'm not sure whether super-scoring may fit in here, but I thought I would mention it.

It is interesting that you compare qualifying scores for Davidson Academy admission with those for DYS, as the Academy requires 3 nominations from specific teachers and the overall application process differs enough that some may consider it a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM