Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    LAF Offline
    I also don't think she can just take the Naglieri or the OLSAT next year..at least with the NNAT you need at least 2 years in between to avoid practice effects so it's not accurate unless they use a different version (not sure about the OLSAT).

J
    JBLTCS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    The re-testing request form gives the option of either the NNAT or the OLSAT, one year or more after the initial test is taken.

J
    JBLTCS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I PMed you.

J
    JBLTCS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    An update: Met with our new superintendent. He basically told us. "Screw GATE. It's a field trip. What's most important is clustering with a teacher who is trained in depth and complexity." Since not a single student at my DD's school was admitted to GATE (suspicious in and of itself and definitely indicates that they've narrowed the testing too much), I don't see much point in advocating for her this year. What good would it do for her to be a group of one? What I have done is strongly advocate for her to be in the GATE-trained teacher's classroom, and will talk directly to him about providing the depth and rigor that he would to gifted students, whether or not they are GATE-identified. On another site in which I was discussing this same issue, several parents supported this approach, warning me to be careful what I advocated for b/c GATE often doesn't mean much. That certainly seems to be the case in my district.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by JBLTCS
    An update: Met with our new superintendent. He basically told us. "Screw GATE. It's a field trip. What's most important is clustering with a teacher who is trained in depth and complexity." Since not a single student at my DD's school was admitted to GATE (suspicious in and of itself and definitely indicates that they've narrowed the testing too much), I don't see much point in advocating for her this year. What good would it do for her to be a group of one? What I have done is strongly advocate for her to be in the GATE-trained teacher's classroom, and will talk directly to him about providing the depth and rigor that he would to gifted students, whether or not they are GATE-identified. On another site in which I was discussing this same issue, several parents supported this approach, warning me to be careful what I advocated for b/c GATE often doesn't mean much. That certainly seems to be the case in my district.

I am sorry I have been off this site. I sent you a PM today. Unfortunately, the comments you heard about 'be careful what you advocate for because GATE often doesn't mean much' may be right. It really does depend on the district. I came from a district where it was supported at the top...and the difference is really night and day compared to my current district. But I do believe it needs support of principals and of the school board to be truly worthwhile.
    I advocated for significant change for almost two years...and then I gave up. I am generally a very 'stick with it and fix it' type of person, but I had to let go and realize that unless the school board/superintendent was going to create an environment for change, it was never going to happen. I am glad that I kept looking and I did find a learning environment that I think is a terrific match, and I hope the same happens for you! Best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM