Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JBLTCS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I posted a few weeks ago that my daughter was not invited into our school district's GATE program because her NNAT score, which is the only criteria our district uses, was 93%. Our district's cut off for GATE is 95%. I had outside testing done for her a few years ago to advocate for acceleration, and also so we could apply for the gifted private school in our area. IQ and achievement testing showed her in the EG range, plus she was accepted to the highly gifted school. (We declined for multiple reasons.) I gave these documents to our district but they still denied her, saying admittance is based solely on the Naglieri. We are still going to advocate for her. I just today received her standardized SBAC results. Highest score achievable on these tests are 2623 for Literacy and 2621 for Math. My daughter scored 2600 on literacy and 2595 on math. And while I know these measure knowledge, and not necessarily intelligence, I will include these results when we go back to advocate. So my questions is: I'm wondering if anyone else has experience using standardized test results as an advocacy tool for giftedness.

Last edited by JBLTCS; 08/05/16 10:30 AM.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Caveat first: while SBAC scores are nominally on a continuous vertical scale across grades, since not all grades see the same item difficulty, the highest and lowest scores obtainable in a grade (your DC's scores would fall in the former category) are less reliable than those in the middle, and may be either over or underestimates of true academic achievement. They are subject to many of the same interpretive caveats as grade equivalent scores, since they are samples of skills, rather than comprehensive surveys of all grade-level instructional requirements.

That being said, if these were true scores, they would put her performance in the advanced (level 4) classification for fifth grade (at, presumably, third grade), comparable to proficiency (level 3) in the literacy score for 11th graders, and math score for 8th graders. Of course, as SBAC only allows items up through grade 4 on the grade 3 test, these levels are clearly rough estimates at best, and cannot be considered true scores.

If you can find data on your district's performance (levels 1-4), and the percent of students who typically score at each level, you might have additional supporting evidence. This data is generally available on the state DOE site, listed by school district.

Advocacy may also be more effective if you can demonstrate that your DC performed at these levels uniformly, across all of the skill areas encompassed by the broad literacy (4 areas) and mathematics (3 areas) scores.

https://www.smarterbalanced.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2014-15_Technical_Report.pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent