Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Researching VERY seriously now - homeschooling. DH, DD11, and I had a sit down last night. DD said she was interested so today we do a pro/con sheet. We meet with a local homeschool group later this week.

So - What math program do you recommend for a kid whose strengths are history, LA, and all things fine art related? She is working three years ahead in math but does say "It's hard"(still received an A) She previously said it was the only class where she learned anything new. She has done an AoPS class after school but deliberately bombed it (after doing well the 1st semester) because she didn't want to do after school math. She claims she hates math.

_
    _
    Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. smirk

I wonder if she just resents having to do more school after school. Maybe if she were homeschooling and had more free time AoPS itself would be okay? Just a though, I know the time commitment is pretty high with that program.

We seem to get math frustrations both if the math is too hard and if it's too easy. It drives me crazy laugh and my DS is only 6. It can't be perfectly matched all the time, so they need to be able to deal with one of the two I guess.

Not sure it would work but could she take a step down in difficulty level? If she wasn't too bored and still kept fresh on things, it might be okay. Maybe she can do ti but doesn't want to excel in that area, so it's hard to push that hard...

Or maybe the math program isn't a good fit, too... just thinking out loud.

Good luck!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We have used Marshall Cavendish Discovering Math, which was the (unmodified) secondary math used in Singapore not too long ago. It is definitely intended for a classroom, so we've had to make our own mods, but have found it to be a good balance of problem solving and sufficient repetition for fluency. I highly recommend doing the Brainworks problems, for extensions. The lessons are very thoughtfully laid out to reinforce earlier skills while learning new concepts, which reduces the feeling of repetition often found in math texts. The Brainworks problems often contain derivations or previews of subsequent skills and concepts, so that I often hear DCs making connections across lessons.

Most lessons have four levels of problems. We typically do every other item, though sometimes all of the items in the top two (application and extension). If the skill or concept seems not solid, then we go back and work the remaining problems.

This is not an independent curriculum, unless your DD has a particular affinity for math, and the maturity to manage her own time.

We've liked it enough to go through all four levels (pre algebra, algebra I, geometry, trig, in integrated curriculum), plus the Discovering Additional Math text, which covers more or less pre calculus and the beginnings of single-variate calculus.

We've used just the student text, but for even more challenge, there are also workbooks, with more practice problems, which are generally not of the drill variety, and test bank books, which are quite challenging.

One of the other homeschooled kiddos I know well is very like your DD, and has used the curriculum very successfully.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    If she is three years ahead maybe she could do one of the AOPS shorter ones - number theory or counting and probability at a slower pace while you settle. Set a timer for a mutually agreed time then stop.

A
    A
    I have seen Life Of Fred and Jacobs Algebra series (by Harold Jacobs) often recommended in other forums for kids who do not like AOPS.

Disclaimer: I use AOPS and don't have direct knowledge about the above 2 curricula.

S
    S
    I used Jacob's Algebra with my oldest and it was great. It can be hard to get a hold of. My child who really disliked AoPs loved Foerster's Algebra. It can be much easier to get a hold of Foerster's.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I gather from this thread and some of your previous posts that your daughter will be doing Algebra I next year...is that correct?

If so, I recommend Jacobs Algebra with the caveat that it works best when there is a person who is enthusiastic about math to teach/discuss it. Some of the explanations are minimal because the real instruction is in the problem sets. The difficulty is that sometimes students need more input that the text provides.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Great resources!!!! Concerning Thinkwell - If something features video with humor - that's right up DD's alley.She also likes Life of Fred. I'm pulling may hair out with indecision. DD11 has indicated some pretty awful depressive thoughts concerning school and life in general. When DH and I talked with her about HSing she started backtracking. She and I did a pro-con sheet yesterday which had her leaning towards HSing yet she rated changing as very scary on my "scare o meter" (I have to come up with these funny assessments so I can get details from her). She said she'd give HS a 2 out of 10 for her chance of switching to it.

Next up - visit homeschool group. Turn in assessment sheets to psych. DD had to fill several out herself. We are hoping they help us figure out direction for her. I wonder if her fear of change is bigger than her hope for something better.

Last edited by greenlotus; 08/02/16 07:47 AM. Reason: left out words
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Just a caution about Thinkwell...

The videos are great, and actually you can see all or most of them here (these go with one of the Holt books that Berger coauthored--I'm not sure which edition): http://go.hrw.com/hrw.nd/gohrw_rls1/pKeywordResults?keyword=MA7+HWHelp#result_page_top

The issue I have with Thinkwell is that the problem sets are terrible. They are given in random order, so the most difficult problem may appear first in the set. A good problem set builds on itself, and the Thinkwell sets do not. As a compromise, I have heard that some people will watch the videos and then use the Holt book for the problems, but I don't know which edition works best for this.

Last edited by Kai; 08/02/16 08:17 AM.
    P
    P
    If you are really worried about her you may just have to make the decision for her. It could take a year to deschool so choosing maths is probably not urgent.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations