Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Awww!!!

Fabulous news about the school's willingness to help, and finding Mrs. Math! I'm so happy for Mr. Wiggly, just to have that happy, excited feeling.

Originally Posted by doodlebug
    Tonight DH said how he recalls his boredom at school and how he hated going and was called lazy and daydreamer and so on.
    You did say your DH was an INTP? Mine too. He also waited until after we went through testing to enlighten me about his school experience (while I thought he was just going along with the whole testing to humor me.) I remember saying after several school horror stories, "why didn't you tell me this before?!" hmph. (although, from the short descriptions here, i could be all wrong about your DH!)

D
    D
    I �m glad your son�s school is doing all it can to provide an appropriate (and free) education. He is lucky to receive accommodations beginning at his young age and should progress extremely fast given his ability and the talent of the new math teacher!

WOW I am soooo impressed with your school! Way to go!!!! I'm so happy for Mr. Wiggly!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Fabulous news about the school's willingness to help, and finding Mrs. Math! I'm so happy for Mr. Wiggly, just to have that happy, excited feeling.

Originally Posted by doodlebug
    Tonight DH said how he recalls his boredom at school and how he hated going and was called lazy and daydreamer and so on.
    You did say your DH was an INTP? Mine too. He also waited until after we went through testing to enlighten me about his school experience (while I thought he was just going along with the whole testing to humor me.) I remember saying after several school horror stories, "why didn't you tell me this before?!" hmph. (although, from the short descriptions here, i could be all wrong about your DH!)

You are actually right on about my DH - are you perhaps married to his brother??! LOL! DH is just like yours, doesn't share stuff until it's hit a certain point. I know now that he's been observing, taking in information, recalling things about his own childhood and school years and relating to MrWiggly very differently than I have. But has he shared it with me? No way! Just his style. He needs to and prefers to process it all internally. His son (19 years old, lives with us) is the same way. I NEVER know what's on his mind.

Of course maybe some of it is just a guy thing. You know, Mars and Venus?!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by delbows
    I �m glad your son�s school is doing all it can to provide an appropriate (and free) education. He is lucky to receive accommodations beginning at his young age and should progress extremely fast given his ability and the talent of the new math teacher!

Well, not completely "free" since we will be paying Mrs. Math for her time after school. But I figure that is doable and reasonable at this point. I'll take whatever I can get and at least now I don't have the worry of interviewing and hiring someone I don't know.

BTW, this morning was 180 degrees of change for us. MrWiggly bounded out of bed, eagerly dressed and packed up his bookbag, directed me as to what stuff he needed today for school and then ran down the driveway to get on the bus yelling "see ya' later!" as he went. I hope his day went well!

It's amazing to me to think that these two years of problem behaviors might be all or mostly attributed to the wrong academic setting or program. Just amazing.

Let us know how he is upon his return. I'm hoping he's equally sunny when he gets home!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Oh my - my husband must be INTP too. He sounds just like these descriptions! Funny.

Mia Offline
    Another wow from me! What a great set-up for MrWiggly. I hope it's all you guys are dreaming about and more! smile

Mia
    OP Offline
    Thought I'd drop in an update on our situation. MrWiggly tested out of 4th grade math with 28/30 correct on the curriculum based pretest they gave all students. So yesterday he was given the 5th grade test and scored a 66%. Respectabble score, I think, since he should be in 2nd grade!

So, today Mrs. Math was going to have him start in her room with his own desk set up near her and a 5th grade textbook ready to start in on. She is prepared to let him move forward as he shows mastery and has no problem taking him through as many years of curriculum as he can handle. Yipee!! MrWiggly was again beside himself and bounded out the door to catch the bus. He said he hopes he is NEVER bored in math again. I do, too! smile

Now, the 3rd grade isn't showing much promise (his placement for all other subjects) but that would be the start of another thread. I'll give it a couple of weeks for review, warm-up, getting to know the students or whatever the teacher is doing before I raise a ruckus about that stuff! Thankfully the principal has already said that we will be meeting in 4-6 weeks to go over all the other subjects. Can hardly wait for that meeting!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM