Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #232279 07/17/16 08:25 AM
    R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Are any of your kids talented in this area?

I'm not exactly a prodigy in the kitchen, but I enjoy cooking.

I'm making pretzel crusted chicken bites.
    Recipe:
    http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/08/12/pretzel-crusted-chicken-bites/

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    I
    I
    Our home is blessed with a young chef interested in healthy cooking, including ingredients such as kale and quinoa, fresh garden-grown herbs and berries in season, and anything from a farmer's market. A broad range of cooking styles includes Mediterranean, and spicy Mexican fare. Smoothies, including those made with almond milk or coconut milk may appear at any time of the day. Recipe substitutions are common, including substitutions for baking such as aquafaba for egg whites.

Some recipes are healthier versions of common foods, such as flourless black bean brownies.

Cookbooks like The Sneaky Chef, Deceptively Delicious, and those authored by Jamie Oliver have graced our kitchen.

Thank you for sharing your pretzel-coated chicken recipe. We will try it. Here is a link to another chicken recipe which we like and have made several times: Tyson's Orange Chicken Stir-Fry, http://www.tyson.com/recipes/orange-chicken-stir-fry

A
    A
    Not talented, per se, but definitely interested! I love cooking, and the enthusiasm seems to be catching with DS, both for the sheer gastronomy of it, as well as the inherent science.

Have you ever watched Heston Blumenthal's "In Search of Perfection". It's such a delight to watch:

Also, in case you haven't seen it:
    https://www.edx.org/course/science-cooking-haute-cuisine-soft-harvardx-spu27x-0

and

https://www.seas.harvard.edu/science-and-cooking-2014-lecture-series

Oh, and some favourite cookbook recommendations for the experimental cook:
    - Thomas Keller's French Laundry cookbook
    - Yotam Ottolenghi's eponymous cookbook- it introduces a fusion Middle Eastern palette that is often new to North Americans and has interesting social geography behind its origins, too
    - Modernist Cuisine's kitchen companion (the rest is pure pleasure reading; you may be able to save $500 and borrow it from the library, like I did). The techniques are impressive, often simple, and have stunning results.

You don't need fancy or expensive equipment to cook well, either. We've definitely rigged up a franken-sous-vide using cast iron pans, sous vide bags, and a good oven thermometer.

Clearly I'm excited about this topic!!!

*Geek out!*

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Alton Brown is a favorite here as he frequently discusses science concepts during cooking.

Yes, and his demeanour is charming, too! Such a quirky presenter! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Glad someone brought this topic up - the missus and I love food and have very broad minded tastes and palates - I am thrilled to discover that DD loves it too.

Taking my DD to Neal's Yard dairy just around the corner from Covent Garden on a recent family holiday in England was an absolutely rapturous experience for us both! :-p She finally got to eat Brie de Meaux at the acme of ripeness and some great unpasteurized Caerphillys in addition to real Somerset Cheddars and phenomenal Stiltons. Just sitting on a street bench eating great cheese and chunks of fresh bread pulled from a good crusty loaf is one of the things I miss most from 'home' so it was memorable to show my DD the ropes, so to speak. She still waxes lyrical about the smells in that cheese shop too :-)

Work meeting coming up - to be continued...

Since her molars came in she is literally a lot more comfortable with eating meat - was painful for a while as they were coming in, apparently.

She has started to cook a bit - being tall enough to comfortably and safely use the stove is obviously a mandatory requirement along with actually wanting to cook.

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM