Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #232068 07/04/16 06:25 AM
    R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Westerns aren't my preferred genre, to say the least. smile However, I have to read Shane for school, and I'm enjoying it.

What do you think of the genre?

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    Raevyn #232075 07/04/16 09:21 AM
    I
    I
    Westerns are also not my favorite genre as I find the story lines tend to be rather win-lose. I prefer win-win scenarios whenever possible: No matter which character(s) a reader most identifies with, their take-away can be something positive in terms of lessons learned, value from the struggle, some degree of triumph, positive self-concept, etc.

Oscar's Gift by Lisa Rivero is interesting historical fiction set in the old West.

Raevyn #232087 07/05/16 08:12 AM
    love a lot of it, but mostly via film; there is an interesting thread winding through film making with 'magnificent 7' / 'Seven Samurai' roots that is a great place to start (start with 'Seven Samurai' and go anywhere from there -- even all the way to "A bugs life" -- NO JOKE.)

http://akirakurosawa.info/remakes-and-films-influenced-by-kurosawa/

One of the 2 or 3 plots that are the basis of all storytelling, "A stranger comes into town", makes up a lot of western story telling.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/05/06/two-plots/

chris1234 #232092 07/05/16 12:42 PM
    R
    R
    I'm going to ignore Indigo's Win-Lose westerns... Gun Smoke, TV Star Trek, everything John Wayne was in...

Originally Posted by chris1234
    One of the 2 or 3 plots that are the basis of all storytelling, "A stranger comes into town", makes up a lot of western story telling.

Right so that covers works like the Sergio Leone "reboots" of Kurisawa and Clint Eastwoods critically acclaimed "Unforgiven" which are more lose-lose works.

There are also the more ambiguous works. Another of the great recurring plots in literature... "The honorable man who lives by a code and the terrible consequences thereof". McMurty's Pulitzer Prize winning novel "Lonesome Dove" is full of appealing but flawed characters. It is down right Arthurian in the multitude of triangles that get set up between the characters. Should Gus and Cord hang their life long partner for "one" evil act... these are deep questions.

I don't particularly like westerns but I think they are a fine genre to explore big issues and worthwhile plot lines.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM