Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    It's highly individual and specific to the child, institution, and teacher(s) at a specific point in time. We won't be able to tell you the "right" decision, because there probably exists a range of options that would be suitable to varying degrees and various aspects of your DDs development. But you already knew that!

A two year skip in a single subject at 10 has the benefit of being easily reversible and minimally disruptive for your DD, because she will be in the same building for all classes and with her age peers for the vast majority of her time. She likely has the executive function and social skills required to blend into a class of children 2 years older than her, and you have been assured that the academics would still be easy for her. Personally, I would consider it seriously.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Music matters to DD a lot more than math these days and music lessons and practice keep her very busy.

I feel she is already being challenged a lot with music and I think the skills she is developing while practicing music would transfer to academics later in her life.

DD's childhood is turning out to be far from what we wanted for her. We are not crazy stage parents who wanted to create a prodigy. This is all her drive so we let her determine her own trajectory and time commitment. If this were coming from her teacher, I'd have put a stop to it.

Q
    Q
    I would base my decision on whether your daughter wants to subject accelerate. However, I also would give some weight to the school's rationale for offering the acceleration as well only if neither you nor your DH ever complained and/or pushed for acceleration initially.

You also need specific information on how this acceleration will be implemented and all the practical details on how it will impact her schedule day-to-day and during special occasions.

Not choosing to accelerate is not crazy. I made that decision for DD in 4th grade (not choosing Pre-Algebra for 5th) because she did not want to accelerate partly for social reasons. It had nothing to do with her academic ability. Acceleration required other sacrifices - inconvenient scheduling and occasionally missing certain activities and the general stress of being out of sync. It also meant being stuck with a couple of "nerdy" boys for math instead of hanging with her friends. While DD has been bored/annoyed with the slow pace of Pre-Algebra in 6th and Algebra in 7th, she has consistently appreciated being grouped with her friends and is fine with Calculus AB Junior year (current path) rather than Sophomore year had she been accelerated. This also made sense for DD because her strengths/passions are in the areas of visual arts and language arts.

On the other hand, I chose to accelerate DS in 2nd grade (to GT 3rd grade, which was combined 3rd/4th grade math) and again in 4th grade (from 6th to Pre-Algebra) because he really wanted to acclerate. Those accelerations were still considerably below his actual math ability levels at the time so it was pretty stress-free while he focused on developing his writing, graphing calculator (Pre-Algebra & Algebra) , typing/computer (various software programs that he needed to learn independently for Algebra in 5th) and executive function abilities. While the school made efforts (2nd grade teacher switched her math block to the mornings to match the 3rd grade schedule), there were inevitable mismatches/snafus (class field trips, state testing, etc.) so it made all the difference that DS himself drove these accelerations. For this same DS, I also chose not to pursue acceleration in K or 1st grade because he did not have the requisite writing or executive function skills in place. I also chose not to accelerate DS to Algebra I in 4th grade partly because we (including DS) wanted to make sure that his foundation was the strongest possible and also with an eye toward middle and high school considerations.

Keep in mind that those were not the only or even necessarily the best possible decisions but they were reasoned decisions at the time and nobody is tearing their hair out in hindsight.

I think that math acceleration in early-mid elementary can be a tricky decision for both student/parent as well as the school district partly because you can't always tell whether the child who excels at elementary math will necessarily find Algebra "easy" at an earlier age as well. I would say that as long as you can reverse an acceleration without damage, then it may be worth a try as long as your DD is not opposed. Good luck.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 06/04/16 10:45 AM.
    Originally Posted by howdy
    I have questions for you.

Would the 5th grade math be in the same building?
    Would it be in the same slot as 3rd grade math is held?
    Would there be any other differences in her schedule due to the change?
    Does the school have a plan to help her with the daily transitions?

These are very important to have answered!

I know, because my DS has been moved up two grades in math. He is in a small charter that has the fifth grade math class literally across the hall from his regular classroom. Still, this year he missed some instruction in his third grade class, and once he told me it seemed they forgot he was still in the other classroom! Often he is given the instruction in math, but because he must return to his third grade room for instruction in another subject, he has to bring home the entire math assignment for homework. His homework load sometimes exceeds two hours. He has complained that the other kids have time to complete their math assignment, but he has to pick up and leave.

That said, DS loves math and would not want to be sent back. It's a compromise he's willing to make.

Get the answers and then consider a trial period.

The only reason I wouldn't do it is if she might struggle, sounds like that is far from the case.

ex: We had an opportunity for dd to move up one grade level, however we found out she had vision issues so we didn't go for it, wanted her to catch up ...and it has been an ok decision, some serious boredom, but not feeling underwater in reading at the time was good. Now she is sailing way past 'above grade level'...so we'll see what occurs in future.

S
    S
    Viginiamomq I will consider how much your dd likes math before accelerating. If you think she is not showing much interest in Math because she hasn't been exposed to engaging content I will try to do so at home first and see how she takes to it.

A
    A
    We did math acceleration starting in elementary school (2nd grade) for our twins, now 16yo and rising juniors in our neighborhood public high school.

DD was for many years more lukewarm to math than DS. I believe this was in part a social consideration similar to that discussed in posts above, which seem to impact girls differently from boys. DD had this party line of "I don't like math," but her actions suggested otherwise (for example: reading on her own, many times over, all of the volumes of the Murderous Math series). DD has always tested a bit higher than DS and we parents were firm about staying with the accelerated math as it was the "appropriate level" for her. Through middle school, DD was very writing/art focused, but continued to perform well while progressing through the math curriculum.

In the last 1-2 years, however, a metamorphosis has occurred, and she is now eager to pursue a science career and is enthusiastic about the math involved. She just completed Calc BC, and is eager for more math. Both kids will take math next year at the nearby uni as they have exhausted the hs offerings.

AND, because of receiving hs credits for having taken Alg. and Geometry in middle school, she is considering graduation a year early as she can satisfy the remaining graduation requirements in the coming academic year. She will be applying to colleges this fall and will decide on whether to do her senior yr in hs after seeing which colleges admit her.

Bottom line: we really didn't take our kid's opinion into consideration in pursuing math acceleration in elementary school and 8-9 years later we are satisfied with the outcome.

A
    A
    We did not accelerate our DS8. He will be a third grader next year. When he was in Pre-K, he was being tested by the school district for Asperger's because of the concerns of his teacher. (He does not have Asperger's.) His scores in Kaufman Assessment Battery were 4 Standard Deviations above mean. The school district and we knew he was gifted back then. His MAP scores in elementary school have always been high. His MAP Math score in second grade was in the high 240s.

We talked to our DS whether he wanted to skip grade the past two years. He always said no, because he enjoys being with his friends. He is not bored at school neither. He always does quality work. His teachers from K-2 have been able to find ways to keep him busy in class. For example, the teacher would let him teach some of the Math lessons. He enjoys teaching. There is also always a special needs kid sits next to him. My DS is a very kind boy. He helps and takes care of others. He treats every one nicely. We heard from parents of how kind he is to their children and how a good friend he is. He is a good friend to every one. We are proud of him.

We feel that there are more in life than academic. We don't need to rush him. At home, he reads all kind of books and does Khan Academy. He is a happy boy. We will let him be.

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    Someone mentioned frustration when their child actually does encounter challenging work. This EXACTLY. My DD (6) who skipped a year is still not challenged enough consistently. They'll give her grade level where she flies through then give her accelerated and she expects to fly through too and gets frustrated and mad when she can't. Even if the concept is easy for her (which she figures out once someone calms her down and explains this every time). Getting used to "coasting" and never working would be my concern as yes, eventually she will need to work hard. Whether that's college or high school. Eventually she will face a challenge in math and will need to have the emotional and mental tools to work though a challenge.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM