Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/10/16 01:23 PM.

Become what you are
    P
    P
    Awesome!

LAF Offline
    Love this!

J
    J
    Amazing!

N
    N
    I love this story.

I
    I
    Although I understood Mayan lore spoke of gods from outerspace, I always thought that people built cities at locations where they found water for consumption and transportation, wild foods to forage, places to grow crops, abundant hunting grounds, and something to construct shelter with.

The idea that people studied the sky, mapped out the stars, and then superimposed the star-map over the earth and used that to determine the locations of their cities is mind-boggling.

Or (since the article spoke of Mayan constellations) did the Mayans build the cities first, then study the sky and map out only those stars which seemed to correspond to the earthly map of their cities?

On one hand it sounds like fantasy... the kind of connection and theory that only a kid could conceive of: someone who doesn't understand how things really work and tries to make connections between unrelated things, as kids often do. On the other hand, this is a a wondrous, ponderous amount of mathematical calculation and measurement... then and now.

This has me very curious to learn more about ancient Mayan culture and civilization.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I always thought that people built cities at locations where they found water for consumption and transportation, wild foods to forage, places to grow crops, abundant hunting grounds, and something to construct shelter with.

The idea that people studied the sky, mapped out the stars, and then superimposed the star-map over the earth and used that to determine the locations of their cities is mind-boggling.

This was my first thought as well. While it is remarkable that the teenager discovered the location of a Mayan city, I was much more impressed with the fact that a civilization might have planned out where all it's cities were going to be based on constellations.

Or (since the article spoke of Mayan constellations) did the Mayans build the cities first, then study the sky and map out only those stars which seemed to correspond to the earthly map of their cities?

I agree that it seems like the cities must have come first. After I read the article, my first thought was that maybe the Mayans built temples in locations that corresponded to the constellations and then cities grew up around them. However, your idea sounds even more reasonable. Either way is still mind-boggling when you consider that the Mayans couldn't actually "see" those cities or any of their land from the perspective of space (with satellites imagery) like we can. Wow. I just can't get my mind around it.

P
    P
    For the reasons you gave before (water, natural resources etc.), I think this is more likely.

this is a a wondrous, ponderous amount of mathematical calculation and measurement... then and now.
    and perseverance!

P
    P
    This got me thinking of the thread about well-rounded vs. spike for admission to elite colleges. This kid definitely has a spike that makes him stand out from the crowd.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Maybe the Mayans felt compelled to build their cities in a way that respected the celestial order of things? Maybe Maslow's hierarchy of needs was irrelevant when it came to pleasing the Gods.

Regardless, what an incredible accomplishment! Apparently, it is as yet undetermined whether they will excavate. I can't imagine having that under my nose and not wanting to discover it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM