Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    Emma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I'm audio recording stories about gifted education for a audio documentary I'm producing. The documentary will cover the history of the gifted education, its present day significance, and what kinds of experiences people have with the program--whether they are students, teachers, parents, or anyone else with a story about gifted. If you have a story you would be willing share, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

For what purpose? What will be done with this documentary? Who will hear it and why?

I'm not in NYC. I'm just curious.

Kriston
    E
    Emma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I'm an aspiring radio journalist/documentarian. Eventually, I hope to submit the piece to transom.org (a website that showcases public radio), Third Coast Audio Festival, and anywhere else I can find who accepts unsolicited submissions.

Right now I'm just focusing on putting this piece together--with the help of a friend, a producer who usually works in film and commercials--and concentrating on research, learning, and capturing people's thoughts and stories.

I have always had an interest in the subject of gifted. In school, was in gifted talented programs and, like for many students, the time I spent in my gifted classes were the highlight of my school career. As an adult, I have developed a more conflicted feeling about the programs and what they say about the current state of education, what we think about the nature of intelligence...It's a subject I want to explore and I think it could make an interesting documentary.

I always feel like I'm throwing a message in a bottle on the ocean on these forums, so thanks for your response!

Originally Posted by Emma
    In school, was in gifted talented programs and, like for many students, the time I spent in my gifted classes were the highlight of my school career. As an adult, I have developed a more conflicted feeling about the programs and what they say about the current state of education, what we think about the nature of intelligence...It's a subject I want to explore and I think it could make an interesting documentary.

I think it would make a very interesting documentary.

What's your take on the subject, if you don't mind my asking? What do you mean when you say you now have "a more conflicted feeling" about GT programs? It sounds like you have some sort of position in mind. I'm curious what that is.

Kriston
    E
    Emma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I can honestly say that I don't know what my position is. Or, rather, my position vacillates all the time. I guess mostly I think that the GT programs are important, but that they they represent a band-aid on some pretty serious problems we have in the way we structure education.

I don't plan to put forward a particular position in the documentary, although if I end up eventually forming a conclusion of some kind, I would consider including that in the piece. Mostly, I just want to hear from people from all perspectives on the issue. Education is such an evocative subject, people have strong feelings, intense experiences, etc. I would like to capture some of that.

Right now I've been working my way through friends and friends of friends, but I'm really trying to open it up a bit and meet people from outside of my own little world. Any advice on how I might connect with people--other forums, groups, events etc. would also be much appreciated.

Sounds interesting.

I wish I had help to offer you, but other than obvious sources--like the NAGC ( http://www.nagc.org/ )and its NY affiliate ( http://www.agateny.com/ )--I don't think I can be of much help. Maybe check Facebook and MySpace for the networks of local schools and post something there?

Good luck with it! Please come back when it's finished and let us know where we could hear it. I'd love to listen! smile

Kriston
    M
    M
    I have a close friend that is currently out of the country with 2 GT kids. She resides in Manhattan. When she returns (by Labor Day), I'll ask her if she's interested and then contact you. Good luck!

E
    Emma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you both!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM